Betelgeuse

lemontoes

Featured Posts

Hi

The brown horse was called George who took over from Snowy, who was getting old, George was not as placid as Snowy being young and male but he did not do Snowy's favourite trick when she got fed up with pulling of jumping in the canal. We moored in the Dee branch during the time Rick and Di lived on the Blue Top there when they ran "Beetlejuice" as the trip cum night out party boat etc, it was not really a restaraunt boat i.e no white linin and cocktails much more basic they did educational school trips also. We were there from 1980 til 2002/3 but B/juice and the Blue top had gone by then. Rick and Di moved into a house which backed onto the canal just a few hundred yards down the canal toward E/port and if I recall the Blue Top went to M/field marina rented to someone I'm sure we saw it there about 18 months after. Don't remember who took B/juice over when they let it go which I think was about 1998'ish give or take a year or two. I understood they originally started out by running it for another lady who had started the trips, they eventually bought it from her. I remember the book being written featuring their little girl Rachel (sure that was her name) and Snowy. Almost certain to have pic's somewhere with her in the background etc will take a look in the old albums.

david

Edited by David

Thanks for all the replies!

Di and Rick are the friends I was talking about. Di put me right about the 'restaurant' bit last time I saw her .......that was me....not listening properly and putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. I've been trying to find out what happened to Betelguese immediately after it left Chester.....1994 I think. It seems that it was converted to a live aboard and spent sometime in Macclesfield, but I haven't seen any photographs, of her during this time. David, I think the 'blue top' they lived on was YEO, and as far as I know that didn't go to Macclesfield Marina, but another boat that they had......PINE...did. I'll check that next time I'm in Chester.

Lemon

I've been trying to find out what happened to Betelguese immediately after it left Chester.....1994 I think. It seems that it was converted to a live aboard and spent sometime in Macclesfield,

Lemon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Betelguese was for a time around 2000 on an off side mooring above Kings Lock at Middlewich, paired/tied up with Stanton. Thought I had some photos but can't lay my hand on them at the moment..... :lol:

Thanks for all the replies!

Di and Rick are the friends I was talking about. Di put me right about the 'restaurant' bit last time I saw her .......that was me....not listening properly and putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. I've been trying to find out what happened to Betelguese immediately after it left Chester.....1994 I think. It seems that it was converted to a live aboard and spent sometime in Macclesfield, but I haven't seen any photographs, of her during this time. David, I think the 'blue top' they lived on was YEO, and as far as I know that didn't go to Macclesfield Marina, but another boat that they had......PINE...did. I'll check that next time I'm in Chester.

Lemon

Hi

You are proberly right I may be recalling the wrong boat and about the Blue Top name, I do recall Rick motorising it with a wheel steering system which always looked a tad awkward to use having to stand sort of sideways. I thought we saw it by the Twissel sweet factory the year or so after it went and my better half says it had been rented and gone up that way as a live aboard.

Like you we don't know what happened to Betelguese as they were in the house by then so we did not see them like when they lived on the mooring and Rick was mooring caretaker for BW, we were "weekenders" anyway so for us Betelguese just disappeared.

One further item on Snowy, she was so nice that she often was left roaming on the grass by the visitor mooring along the basin between trips and being fussed by all and sundry.

david