Leeky / wobbly prop shaft & stern tube

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I am out of the water at the moment and one of the things on my list is to check out the stern tube / prop shaft assembly. In the water, the stern tube was fairly leaky (it settled for a couple of months after replacing the packing) and required plenty of grease to stop dripping. Now I am out of the water, a quick "waggle" test shows there to be a "fair" amount of movement.

Can anyone give me any guidance as to what are acceptable limits to movement here, and whether or not these parts are seviceable, or require a complete replacement of the whole assembly? What information do I need about the unit to give to someone if I am trying to source parts? Is there any easy way to identify what it is that I have?

I am thinking that I should first replace the old wobbly engine mounts, and then perhaps just the tube could be replaced if the shaft is not worn out as well?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Peter

Not sure about whether yours will be a stock item and available over the counter, if not an engineering firm, if you can find one these days, will make you a new shaft, and probably bearings, I'm sure someone will be along soon to mention numbers and names of suppliers.

it should not wobble at all so something is bent/out of line possibly because of loose engine mounts chances are its gone to quote an old saying egg shapped most likely need a new tube and shaft

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/STERN-GE...UBES_B2B80.aspx

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/STERN-GE...AFTS_B2B5I.aspx