exhaust noise

niggsey

Featured Posts

hi all anyone fitted a hospital silencer to a Isuzu engine mine is giving me a headache cant do more than 6 hours before the noise becomes to much ..anybody got info on best places to buy or tips on fitting ?

Edited by niggsey

hi all anyone fitted a hospital silencer to a Isuzu engine mine is giving me a headache cant do more than 6 hours before the noise becomes to much ..anybody got info on best places to buy or tips on fitting ?

Had one fitted last winter to a BMC 2.2 ltr engine that purred like a kitten on tickover but barked like a pack of dogs when underway. Now you can only hear the engine noise through the decking, no exhaust noise at all. You will need plenty of room to fit one though. Mine came from TT Marine at New Mills. There are differing opinions among BS examiners as to whether they need any heat insulation cause they are already insulated to some extent inside. Mine is insulated by some type of reflective thermal blanket as it s size would make wraping it with the normal thermal bandage quite expensive. As far as exahust noise is concerned it is the best thing we have had done. Hope this helps

We have an Isuzu 42 and fitted a hospital silencer when it was installed. Reduces the exhaust noise to extremely little -- though it's a kind of slippery slope because you then start agonising about the (not very loud) noise coming up through the boards, despite sound insulation fitted there. But a couple of people going walking past have asked if the boat is electric - and although the wind must have been blowing the other way - that does illustrate that the silencer makes a real difference..

If it's a secondary silencer, the body shouldn't get hot, but the inlet pipe might be warm(ish). If you're replacing the existing silencer with a 'hospital type' you may have to lag the whole caboodle.

BTW, they are called 'hospital silencers' because they were originally developed as secondary silencers for diesel standby generators. These had to be pretty bleedin' quiet if they were running at night in hospital grounds!