2 weeks from Norbury?

boatchad

Featured Posts

Advice sought please! We have 2weeks holiday coming up last week in sept and 1st week in oct, boat moored at Norbury Junction on the Shroppie. I would like to head south, as a Northener it goes against the grain to go south but sacrifices must be made for our annual cruise in the interests of exploration. :lol:

I realise that there is no decent beer south of Burton but hey another sacrifice to be made! :lol:

The problem is that this will probably be my last chance to do the Midlands and I would like to get it right so I am seeking the advice of the forum on route selection.

Thanks in anticipation..........................

Advice sought please! We have 2weeks holiday coming up last week in sept and 1st week in oct, boat moored at Norbury Junction on the Shroppie. I would like to head south, as a Northener it goes against the grain to go south but sacrifices must be made for our annual cruise in the interests of exploration. :lol:

I realise that there is no decent beer south of Burton but hey another sacrifice to be made! :lol:

The problem is that this will probably be my last chance to do the Midlands and I would like to get it right so I am seeking the advice of the forum on route selection.

Thanks in anticipation..........................

Well, where to start..... If beer is the priority (and no reason why not) you could go down the Staffs & Worcs to Kinver - a well known drinking village with excellent pubs then back to Stourton Junction and up the Stourbridge canal to sample some of those excellent Black Country brews (Batham's, Holden's, Old Swan etc in places such as Brierley Hill, Netherton and Stourbridge itself. Carry on into Brum which now has as good a choice of beer in the city centre as you'll find anywhere (and a far cry from the Ansells / M&B duopoly of the 1970s) Come back via the northern reaches of the BCN and don't miss the amazing "Manor Arms" at Rushall (moorings outside)or the "Rose & Crown" near the top of Walsall locks. Stop at Sneyd Junction and get a bus into Bloxwich for more excellent pubs and beer.

The days of "no good beer south of Burton" have long gone - if they ever existed and I speak as an (adopted) northerner.

Have a good trip wherever you go!

Jim

Edited for typo

Edited by Jim