Whats this wire do?

Chris Lingwood

Featured Posts

16082008255.jpg

W and B+ are labelled in the casting so I can be sure about those. I presume B- is the casing seeing as there's nothing else big enough. Since making that diagram I've come to the conclusion that (?) is in fact D+ (because of this). So the only thing I can think that (D?) might be is a battery voltage sense? Or am I talking rubbish? Its a really scrawny wire under all that insulation. This suggests it might be, although that's a different regulator.

EDIT:

here it is!

It says B+ through thermistor a battery over temperature measurement? That's not much use!

Edited by Chris Lingwood

The terminal you have marked "?" is almost certainly the D+ or warning light connection, this can be verified with a reistance meter by pulling back the white insulator on the regulator slightly and checking that the resistance between the revealed blade and the "?" terminal is near zero.

The terminal you have marked "D?" is probably a modification for using this alternator with an adverk or some other similar supplementary voltage regulation system often known as battery management. This can be verified by meauring the resistance between the (correctly identified) D+ terminal and the "D?" terminal, if it is as I suspect the resistance should be about 4 Ohms and it's use is not essential for the alternator to be used.

What the terminal is almost certainly not is the temperature compenstation system fitted to some alternators for agricultural use, this would be orange and lead directly to the regulator.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Arnot

16082008255.jpg

W and B+ are labelled in the casting so I can be sure about those. I presume B- is the casing seeing as there's nothing else big enough. Since making that diagram I've come to the conclusion that (?) is in fact D+ (because of this). So the only thing I can think that (D?) might be is a battery voltage sense? Or am I talking rubbish? Its a really scrawny wire under all that insulation. This suggests it might be, although that's a different regulator.

EDIT:

here it is!

It says B+ through thermistor a battery over temperature measurement? That's not much use!

The reg is a slighltly different version of the Lucan 21TR, I can't remember the model number.

D? is for a battery temperature sensor.

Gibbo