Tecma Toilet - no fill!

LongShen

Featured Posts

Hi ya,

Need some advice please...

I have a Tecma Silence toilet, for which I don't have a manual. It was installed about four years ago and has worked fine.

It decided this morning to not fill with water. Ho hum, jug of water to the rescue.

When I push the magic button I hear the click (of the solenoid?) but no water appears. I'm guessing that there is a solenoid that opens a valve to let the water in. Water pressure all normal so it must be a problem within the unit.

Is it possible to get spares such as what I'm guessing is the valve?

How difficult is it to mess about fitting such a thing?

Everything is boxed in at the back of the loo, so what disasters are likely if I unscrew the loo from the floor and attempt to pull it forward to access the workings?

All advice most welcome. Meanwhile I'll keep the jug handy :lol:

Steve

Hi ya,

Need some advice please...

I have a Tecma Silence toilet, for which I don't have a manual. It was installed about four years ago and has worked fine.

It decided this morning to not fill with water. Ho hum, jug of water to the rescue.

When I push the magic button I hear the click (of the solenoid?) but no water appears. I'm guessing that there is a solenoid that opens a valve to let the water in. Water pressure all normal so it must be a problem within the unit.

Is it possible to get spares such as what I'm guessing is the valve?

How difficult is it to mess about fitting such a thing?

Everything is boxed in at the back of the loo, so what disasters are likely if I unscrew the loo from the floor and attempt to pull it forward to access the workings?

All advice most welcome. Meanwhile I'll keep the jug handy :lol:

Steve

You should be able to pull the toilet forward to investigate without problems, the solenoid valve however is remote so it is not forced to be directly behind the toilet so listen to locate the click first.

Be aware that there is also from memory a relay that clicks inside the flush control panel.

The valve itself is usually quite robust and more typically jam open rather than closed.

This is more likely to be wiring related than an actual hardware failure, unfortunately the wiring loom is located in the toilet pedestal so "liquid" from various sources can corrode the various contacts but once identified is usually easill repaired with choc block connectors etc.

If things are more than this the first step will be to test the solenoid valve.

We've Tecma macerators on our hire boats and they're very reliable however on an older boat we've had a solenoid give up. If it is the solenoid there fairly easy and simple to replace - you need to find a local chandlery that stocks Aquafax products so they can order one in. Aquafax normally have them in stock so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

The solenoid will look something like this

Justin.

Thanks everyone. Given me the confidence to have an investigate, now I'm back at the boat it's my new weekend project! :lol:

Already sussed that the click I hear is at the magic button end, which at least confirms the problem is at the loo end.

Yes, very chuffed with all the respones.

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. Given me the confidence to have an investigate, now I'm back at the boat it's my new weekend project! :lol:

Already sussed that the click I hear is at the magic button end, which at least confirms the problem is at the loo end.

Yes, very chuffed with all the respones.

Thanks again.

LongShen

Some of these toilets also have a quick trip built into the system to protect the pump should something end up down in the toilet that shouldn't be there. Usually the trip is in the button box, if it has tripped there will be a reason why. Normally it is the pump jammed with a foreign body( send Bones the remains :lol: ) or a log jam of toilet paper. Just another possibility, Hope this is of some help.

Thanks for the tip Colin.

It is pumping out fine (thank goodness), it's just that the water fill that's not happening. Hence the jug...

Task now set for tommorrow morning when morale support arrives with a meter so we can check the solenoid etc.

Going for pump out first just in case. :lol:

Cheers