Which 12v fridge

Philip Davies

Featured Posts

I have seen several threads discussing the merits of 12v and 240v.

Having decided to go the more expensive 12v route, which make/models are best or should be avoided.

I am thinking of a Shoreline RR57W which at 128 litres (inc 16 litre ice box) is quite large for an under worktop installation.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We are using a large Shoreline 12V fridge with separate freezer section and it works fine. We suggest you check the DC consumption on the larger ones as it can be quite high. If you have no AC shore power to charge your batteries and don't run the engine very often, you might find it a big drain on your supply.

We have a old (15 years-ish) Engel, On the 24v supply it draws about 2amps. In low-voltage mode its not quite as powererfull.

- We have a small stack of ice packs (for coolboxes) in the freezer compartment and what we then do is run it all day (its often runs non-stop without ever cutting out) and then switch it off over night. This works quite well as the alternator can keep up with the 2amp draw, and then at night you dont want the noise anyway.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
...they have a absorber in them that charges up when the engine/shoreline is connected and lets back the charge when the fridge is on 12/24v...

Sounds very much like our IcePack in the ice box idea, which does work very well.

Daniel

Phillip, I believe all the modern ones have the lastest type compressor which uses less battery power than they used to a few years back. The problem common to all the boat fridges is the expense to buy them compared to domestic fridges, nothing much you can do about this. The only other thing to consider is the look. Most have a white door, there are a couple with a stainless steel door (Lec) or silver finish, they cost more but if thats the look you want its worth considering

Charles

Phillip, I believe all the modern ones have the lastest type compressor which uses less battery power than they used to a few years back. The problem common to all the boat fridges is the expense to buy them compared to domestic fridges, nothing much you can do about this. The only other thing to consider is the look. Most have a white door, there are a couple with a stainless steel door (Lec) or silver finish, they cost more but if thats the look you want  its worth considering

Charles

23010[/snapback]

Talking of 12 Volt fridges,where can I get a 12 volt 15 watt screw fitting bulb for ours?