Not chargers or batteries or wiring! Just for a change.

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Probably a question to the more experienced hands (guys & gals and in particular boats that have children on board)

What is a sensible length for a boarding plank?

I know - how long is a piece of string?

There must be a happy medium.

I would guess there's a difference between canals & rivers.

The traditional plank is a problem - kids are terrified of falling in (sharks & crocodiles - oops) as it's not wide enough.

Any ideas for alternatives.

I've just acquired an aluminium scaffold board about 3.5mtrs long x 500mm wide (youngman board) and was going to cut it to length and give it a coat of paint.

For the size of it it's reasonably light.

Oh & I want to put LEDs down either side ..............Sorry just couldn't resist it! :lol:

The lengths of boarding planks have tended to reflect the general condition of the canals, when I first started boating my plank was a good 9 feet long and you could be fairly sure that it would be needed every practically every night when cruising, stepping of your boat onto firm ground was very much a novelty.

The plank has been much reduced over the years and is now no more than 6 feet and rarely used.. Yet some people hold on to the notion that the canals are in such a terrible state compared to how they were.

Edited by John Orentas