Chimney collar.

Featured Posts

Hello,

When my Epping stove has been in use, I sometime get a run down the outside of the chimney ( in the boatman's ) which appears to be rusty water. If the stove hasn't been used, no run.

Can anyone tell me if there is usually a seal between the collar on the roof and the flue pipe? , possibly asbestos based rope? I don't get any fumes in the cabin.

Thanks in anticipation.

When my Epping stove has been in use, I sometime get a run down the outside of the chimney ( in the boatman's ) which appears to be rusty water. If the stove hasn't been used, no run.

Can anyone tell me if there is usually a seal between the collar on the roof and the flue pipe? , possibly asbestos based rope? I don't get any fumes in the cabin.

The usual way is for some fibreglass rope to take up the gap between the flue and collar. This can be sealed in with butyl sealant on both the top and bottom. Heat will cause expansion and contraction and if any water gets in it will seep out as the flue gets warm! Normally this problem is caused by rain water, but could equally be condensation.

The usual way is for some fibreglass rope to take up the gap between the flue and collar. This can be sealed in with butyl sealant on both the top and bottom. Heat will cause expansion and contraction and if any water gets in it will seep out as the flue gets warm! Normally this problem is caused by rain water, but could equally be condensation.

Most people now seem to use 'high temperature' gasket sealer, good for up to 300C. I have used it myself and it makes a far better job that other stuff, many places sell it now but just seen it (85gm tubes £6.50) advertised in the Frost catalogue.. There have been a hundred or so threads on the subject if you do a search.

Remember you need to leave some flexibility in the joins otherwise expansion/ contraction makes a mess of things.