Liveaboard moorings in/near Sheffield?

Odana

Featured Posts

I'm probably going to be moving to Sheffield in the next few months - any recommendations on moorings?

I had a (very) quick look at Sheffield basin which looks a bit bleak at first glance but would be convenient. What else is there that's cyclable to the city - up to 5-6 miles? Anything up to 30mins on the train could also work, plus cycle or short drive to station. Somewhere with a hint of greenery (though urban suits me just fine) and electric hookup would be ideal. I've been thoroughly spoiled by years of Hockley in Birmingham with all services, lots of garden, own bit of bank with room for storage rather than pontoons.... see, I'm getting nostalgic already ... and I realise I might have to sort out a temporary option initially.

Next time I go up I'd like to poke around and get a feel for where might be good to moor - any suggestions gratefully received! I know very little about the area. Many thanks!

I'm probably going to be moving to Sheffield in the next few months - any recommendations on moorings?

I had a (very) quick look at Sheffield basin which looks a bit bleak at first glance but would be convenient. What else is there that's cyclable to the city - up to 5-6 miles? Anything up to 30mins on the train could also work, plus cycle or short drive to station. Somewhere with a hint of greenery (though urban suits me just fine) and electric hookup would be ideal. I've been thoroughly spoiled by years of Hockley in Birmingham with all services, lots of garden, own bit of bank with room for storage rather than pontoons.... see, I'm getting nostalgic already ... and I realise I might have to sort out a temporary option initially.

Next time I go up I'd like to poke around and get a feel for where might be good to moor - any suggestions gratefully received! I know very little about the area. Many thanks!

I'm afraid you have very few options in and around Sheffield. Apart from Sheffield Basin there are moorings in the Tinsley Lock Flight, just behind the Carbrook Tram Stop. The next moorings are in Rotherham just off Northfield Road. Neither of these could be described as rural, or even quiet, railways, tramways and roads nearby.

There are others further down the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Canal. Why not have a search on the Waterscape site? Finding a vacancy might be difficult. Also you need to remember that the SSYN is length restricted, maximum about 60ft if I remember correctly.

Other possibilities could be the Chesterfield Canal but I don't know anything about that. The next nearest canal is the Calder & Hebble but that might be too much of a commute for you.

Stewart

Thanks for that. A couple of hours with Trainline.com, google maps and Waterscape and I'm now set for a full day of exploring! Boat's 52 feet which seems fine for cruising, if a tad restrictive for berths close to Sheffield (Tinsley looks nice). Chesterfield canal (Shireoaks nr Worksop) is also within the 30 min train zone for anyone else reading this in future who's interested.

Assuming I can't get a BW mooring immediately (how I hate to have to validate their horrid tender process, but it looks like I'll have to...) anyone know of private marinas, even a bit further out where I could get a shorter term mooring, where there are winter moorings or where's OK to loiter and cc while I keep looking?

N

• 2 weeks later...

Tinsley is not bad for getting to Sheffield, but not exactly rural. Shireoaks is a fairly new marina,so it's a little characterless but the village is lovely, the Chesterfield Canal has a few nice places to visit, I'm going to have my boat on there when I've finished her (though further down at Retford.)

I'm not sure how Shireoaks links to Sheffield by train, however I do think there is a station at the other end of the village.

Sheffield is a good place though, quite big but feels smaller, plenty of good places to eat and drink, and with Derbyshire right on the doorstep. Let me know if you make the move, maybe we could meet for a pint.

Lee

hi ya ive just mored up at kilnhust nice quiet village so stayin for a couple of weeks not far from sheffield but much nicer. you could keep movin between thorne,doncaster, sprotbough,and rotherham,due to work commitments at the weekends thats what im goin to be doin. cheers

hi ya ive just mored up at kilnhust nice quiet village so stayin for a couple of weeks not far from sheffield but much nicer. you could keep movin between thorne,doncaster, sprotbough,and rotherham,due to work commitments at the weekends thats what im goin to be doin. cheers

Thanks for info. How easy/safe is it to bridge-hop around there? I'd rather get a winter mooring (think I can get one in Sheffield Basin) while I get a feel for where I want to end up. But as I don't know the areas I'm a bit cautious about which lonely dark bit of towpaths are OK or not before/after a winter mooring IF I can get one...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I work for Northern Rail and the train services from Shireoaks are reliable and frequent into Sheffield, plus if you get a weekly/monthly pass it is even cheaper and most of the staff are friendly ;o) ... Shireoaks looks like a nice place, although I've only seen it from marina pictures and from stopping at the station en route to Lincoln. You could even cycle to the station and lock your bike up if you wished or take it on the train (as long as there are no more than two bikes on the train is the official wording).

http://www.waterscape.com/services-directo...ina-residential

The basin at Sheffield is convenient, if a little bleak but has a long waiting list, or so BW said when I spoke to them. I wouldn't moor up near Tinsley, it is a quiet enough area to moor but perhaps a little too quiet and, as a previous poster says, the road noise from the motorway may be a little irritating.

I really do think, however, that the S&SY Navigation is really pretty after Swinton over to the river Trent and Stainforth & Keadby Canal the only thing letting it down is the lack of services and lack of usage from narrowboaters.

Hope this helps!

Rob

I'm not sure how Shireoaks links to Sheffield by train, however I do think there is a station at the other end of the village.

Shireoaks is 30 mins from Sheffield by train and the services are frequent (hourly) and reliable, plus you have Lincoln, which is a nice city, on the same line and Sheffield at the other end. A weekly pass would cost £19.00 from Shireoaks to Sheffield and a monthly would cost £73.00, saving you time and money compared to buying a Standard Day Return each day on the train.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi I too am considering life afloat and have started to trawl the area to see what is possible. I went to Shireoaks at the weekend, it's small and on looking at the Waterscape site moorings are not plentiful.

I went to Sawley too, large and space was available but nothing residential.

I followed the advice here about Tully's and could not find them the spelling is Tulley's but have not been able to speak to anyone as yet.

I am not buying a boat until I have somewhere that I do know...........will I every get a boat???

If anyone has any ideas please do let me know.

Hello,

I work for Northern Rail and the train services from Shireoaks are reliable and frequent into Sheffield, plus if you get a weekly/monthly pass it is even cheaper and most of the staff are friendly ;o) ... Shireoaks looks like a nice place, although I've only seen it from marina pictures and from stopping at the station en route to Lincoln. You could even cycle to the station and lock your bike up if you wished or take it on the train (as long as there are no more than two bikes on the train is the official wording).

http://www.waterscape.com/services-directo...ina-residential

The basin at Sheffield is convenient, if a little bleak but has a long waiting list, or so BW said when I spoke to them. I wouldn't moor up near Tinsley, it is a quiet enough area to moor but perhaps a little too quiet and, as a previous poster says, the road noise from the motorway may be a little irritating.

I really do think, however, that the S&SY Navigation is really pretty after Swinton over to the river Trent and Stainforth & Keadby Canal the only thing letting it down is the lack of services and lack of usage from narrowboaters.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Shireoaks is 30 mins from Sheffield by train and the services are frequent (hourly) and reliable, plus you have Lincoln, which is a nice city, on the same line and Sheffield at the other end. A weekly pass would cost £19.00 from Shireoaks to Sheffield and a monthly would cost £73.00, saving you time and money compared to buying a Standard Day Return each day on the train.