Tring Show

Enfield Phil

Featured Posts

Hi All

Does any one know if there will be trade stalls at Tring this weekend, I am after a replacement for my A127 alternator, or would i be better off just going to the local autofactors?

TGIF

Regards

Phil

No idea, but don't forget e-bay.

Just paid £37 for one, which I doubt you'll better elsewhere, although I have to admit there was £11 carriage on top.

Fairly heavy rain is forecast for Sunday, so let's hope the Tring/Wendover fest can go ahead OK. Rain has stopped play in a previous year.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Alan

Was it this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lucas-Type-Alternato...1QQcmdZViewItem

And if so is it straight replacement for an old style one, mine is on an old bmc 1.5, is there a left and right hand version, the connections are certainly different.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Sorry for late reply, but we have been away.

The one I ordered was, I think, this one.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lucas-Type-Alternato...1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems to be subtly different, (and slightly more expensive), than the link you have shown.

I can't speak for the 1500 engine, but this was a direct replacement on to my 1800, with everything lining up, and existing connectors going straight on to spades on alternator, (although it's been recommended that I change the main cable to use the alternate post connector instead - I just haven't got around to it yet).

Worked fine for about 9 nights away. Did about 150 miles / 158 locks no problem. I didn't even change original fan belt, that looks a bit worn, but seems to be coping with the increased power requirement of the bigger alternator.

I've seen so called marine versions at more than twice the price. Main difference seemed to be an insulated negative. My engine doesn't require that, so cheaper one was good enough. :lol:

Alan

Thanks for your reply, unfortunatly I had to go pay £61 from Allparts car spares for a 40A one as I was "powerless" .

Phil

That's a bummer, Phil.

For what it's worth, I can't see any probs with the quality of my e-Bay 70 Amp one at under £40, (but plus carriage, note).

As no exchange was involved, I've at least got the old 45 amp onr as a standby spare.