Marketing the Canal

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

This is BW's vision statement, taken from their website: -

Our Vision

Our ambition is that by 2012 we will have created an expanded, vibrant, largely self-sufficient waterway network used by twice as many people as in 2002. It will be regarded as one of the nation's most important and valued national assets. Visitors will be delighted with the quality of the experience and as a consequence many will become active participants.

I was present at a meeting only a few weeks ago, Robin Evans vehemently denied that Self-sufficiency was ever a long or short term aim of BW..

He stated what was obvious to all present that if BW was ever to gain the status of being self sufficient the government would then quite logically wash their hands of the whole thing and not contribute a penny to the inland waterways.

No don't do that! I'll try to be less serious :)

No Probs, my train of thought was, as BW want more public pressure by getting more people to use the inland waterways.

We should use the same method to get rid of the hedge faries, so it would be a nicer place for all the newcomers.

The reason I assumed they can`t read is that there are special places for their treasure to hide, in big boxes right by the waters edge.

So a leaflet telling of all the good and wonderful things that can be done BY the waterway, would be lost to them.

In fact I would of thought that they end up with all the other treasure in the hedges.

On a more serious point................

Wha do we do about the bridge `ole` Ogre ;)

Our Vision

Our ambition is that by 2012 we will have created an expanded, vibrant, largely self-sufficient waterway network used by extremely wealthy people by charging twice as much as in 2002. It will be regarded as one of the nation's most expensive pastimes and will no longer be an important and valued national asset. Visitors will be delighted with the quality of the experience and as a consequence of winning the lottery many will become active participants. ;):)

Edited by denis boyle

This is BW's vision statement, taken from their website: -

Our Vision

Our ambition is that by 2012 we will have created an expanded, vibrant, largely self-sufficient waterway network used by twice as many people as in 2002. It will be regarded as one of the nation's most important and valued national assets. Visitors will be delighted with the quality of the experience and as a consequence many will become active participants.

All well and good but I wonder if they also have forecasts for what will happen if the numbers don't double. I don't believe they will - already people are getting sick and tired of queuing for hours on end, and it is interesting that some of the new marinas are not full by any means. I think the substantial hike in prices across the board - licences, moorings, fuel may well lead to a levelling off of boat numbers, if not a decline. What happens then to these proud ambitions?

The canal infrastructure can never be a simple profit and loss business. It is part of our heritage, and should be part of English Heritage, not DEFRA. What on earth is it doing there? It is not BW's fault that their political masters don't view it in this way, but I remember a former chairman of BW saying that he viewed his role as very much sustaining a piece of heritage. It is impossible to place a value on the canals in terms of the public amenity they provide, the green corridors they provide for wildlfe, the income they generate for the areas they pass through.

Edited by Dominic M