Satellite Again!

ScruffyDuck

Featured Posts

Hi All - let me start with an apology :D My first post here and I am picking up on a subject that already has many threads. I have tried to read most of them before posting. I had no intention of getting a satellite system for my boat until I went to Lidl last Saturday for a new box of cling film. Big mistake - saw their camping sat system and failed to resist. Actually I then took it back. The TV I have is new and has Freeview. OK so I also now know that you don't get Freeview from a satellite :D - the nice man at Currys explained that to me at the same time he explained that you can't get a converter from SCART to RF...... Why would I care? well this lovely new TV does not have a SCART socket, hence the problem.

That got me thinking and since my very expensive mistake of buying a Gazelle aerial fails to deliver Freeview I have got it into my head to get a Sat system. I would like your thoughts on my plans. First I need to explain that I do not have a narrow boat but a Hardy Pilot - lovely and just right as my 'floating shed'. Spend nearly every weekend on it summer and winter. It is, however very skittish and not at all a stable platform for a sat dish. So here is where I am. I have about £200.00 to spend

• Sat Dish - Kerstan Mini Mobile. My reading indicates that smaller dishes are less susceptible to movement and easier to set up.
  • Receiver - either a Manhattan Plaza XT-M or a Technomate TM 3500. Both have RF (I assume a UHF loop is the same thing?) and can take cards. I am looking for Free To Air but having card slots seems useful. The Technomate can also record onto a USB hard disk - would I ever use that I wonder?
  • Extras - A sat finder such as a Digisat and a compass!

I am mulling over using a pole for the dish. I have a bit of room next to the boat in the marina are could easily fit a socket to take a pole - on the canal I thought perhaps to pop the pole in the bank next to the boat. This would overcome the tendency to spill the G&T every time someone passes upsetting the aim. Close to the boat I figure I could use the sat finder to set up - In the marina it is pretty easy to work out where the satellite is. In the bank I can set the pole vertical and that just leaves the heading. I know there are tripod dishes - might be OK on the bank but definitely not OK in the marina.

Am I talking twaddle or does this all have a chance of working?

Thanks

Jon

ER some marinas prohibit harware stuck into banks etc.

Have a look at aldi.co.uk thy have an offer on

ANd many people here swear by the mapln suitcase product.

I@ve missed something here ie scart to rf. exactly what inputs doe the tv have?

ER some marinas prohibit harware stuck into banks etc.

Have a look at aldi.co.uk thy have an offer on

ANd many people here swear by the mapln suitcase product.

I@ve missed something here ie scart to rf. exactly what inputs doe the tv have?

No I'm fine in the marina - I am on a pontoon and the owners do not mind some hardware in the pontoon. We have mooring rings etc and a smallish socket would not arouse any worries.

TV has the usual RF Coax and a small jack for AV. I got a SCART to AV adapter but could not get the Lidl box to work with it. I would prefer to connect reciever to TV via the RF Coax. All the 12V offerings such as Maplin and Lidl have SCART only TV connectors as far as I can tell. I have no problem with a 240V receiver since I have a decent sized inverter on board

Edited by ScruffyDuck

The Kerstan dishes are excellent dishes - a bit more expensive at just over £120 but well worth it. You also can't go wrong with the Technomate boxes and with one of those you will not need a sat finder gizmo as the technomate has a satellite set up on screen menu which lists all the available satellites and is superb for setting things up - done in 2 mins max. The best website for any info re satellite tv is www.alsat.co.uk - they have seperate technomate section as well as a plethora of good information. :D

Scart to RF is perfectly possible using a external RF modulator.

One EXAMPLE

Well that is something I did not know of course!

But just one thing, if you can use your av in jack the picture will be better than rf.

Something else I didn't know :D Are all AV jack input sockets the same? Somehow I lost the spare cables to the TV probably because I did not think I would need them. Also I got the impression (probably wrongly) that with the Lidl receiver I would not get the menu system unless I made a SCART to SCART connection.

Edited by ScruffyDuck