Dudley Port Railway Station

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

We are having to re-plan our Summer cruising because Jane will have to work and I don't fancy doing the Thames/Kennet & Avon/Bristol Channel single handed. So I will now take the boat up the Oxford, Coventry, Birmingham & Fazeley and BCN to Stourport, thence down the Severn to Saul Junction for the Festival where I have volunteered to work behind the bar!

Hopefully Jane (who can only have ten days off work) will join me by train just before we go through Netherton Tunnel. Can anyone advise if there is convenient access to the Birmingham Level towpaths near Dudley Port Railway Station? From Google Maps it looks as if there might be access from the aqueduct that spans Dudley Port main road.

Edited by NB Alnwick
formatting

Can anyone advise if there is convenient access to the Birmingham Level towpaths near Dudley Port Railway Station? From Google Maps it looks as if there might be access from the aqueduct that spans Dudley Port main road.

Out of the station, across the road, down the steps to the towpath.

A minute's walk.

If you're heading for Stourport, I hope you will factor in a stop somewhere Cookley/Wolverley or Stourport itself (I wouldn't recommend overnighting in Kidderminster).

:o:lol::lol:

Out of the station, across the road, down the steps to the towpath.

A minute's walk.

I appreciate that moles do not like heights but I presume that you mean "up the steps" since the canal crosses the road on an aquaduct :)

If you're heading for Stourport, I hope you will factor in a stop somewhere Cookley/Wolverley or Stourport itself (I wouldn't recommend overnighting in Kidderminster).

We shall need to moor somewhere in the area between Netherton Tunnel and Stourport (probably near Stourton Junction) on the Saturday night (28th June) and hope to make Stourport on the Sunday. Can you can recommend a good spot with a pub that does food?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

The Lock Inn at Wolverley. Good old Bank's pub with unpretentious food. The road can be a bit noisy, but the moorings are far enough away from it. Not to be missed, IMHO.

69_big.jpg

I appreciate that moles do not like heights but I presume that you mean "up the steps" since the canal crosses the road on an aquaduct :o

I don't know it well myself, but I w**k with a bloke who lives very close to there. When I asked him at lunchtime he mentioned crossing the road and steps to the towpath. He probably did say "up".

We shall need to moor somewhere in the area between Netherton Tunnel and Stourport (probably near Stourton Junction) on the Saturday night (28th June) and hope to make Stourport on the Sunday. Can you can recommend a good spot with a pub that does food?

Well, there's the Dry Dock at Windmill End (very close after the tunnel), then you're through Brierley Hill and down the 9-locks (all 8 of them), then start down the Stourbridge flight. Around lock 5 (from memory, that Nicholson's on the boat) there's the Samson & Lion. It might not look like the sort of place you would ordinarily choose to moor, but we have, 2 or 3 times, with no problem whatsoever. Food's decent, prices are reasonable.

There's nothing at Stourton, to my mind Kinver is over-rated (and you'll be lucky to find visitor moorings), but it's only another hour to Wolverley, good moorings either side of The Lock, and I second Paul's post.

We shall need to moor somewhere in the area between Netherton Tunnel and Stourport (probably near Stourton Junction) on the Saturday night (28th June) and hope to make Stourport on the Sunday. Can you can recommend a good spot with a pub that does food?

Or invite the Mole clan to join you for an impromtu banter and supply a drop of wine and a pound of mince............

Bingo.........

good food, great company!

If it happens don't forget my invite :cheers:

Or invite the Mole clan to join you for an impromtu banter and supply a drop of wine and a pound of mince............

If it happens don't forget my invite :o

Well, as Graham seems fairly certain about the date, why not declare it as an official banter?

The Lock at Wolverley would be a good choice, plenty of moorings, plenty of outdoor seating, and there's even a campsite within walking distance.

Well, as Graham seems fairly certain about the date, why not declare it as an official banter?

The Lock at Wolverley would be a good choice, plenty of moorings, plenty of outdoor seating, and there's even a campsite within walking distance.

Sadly, we won't make Dudley Port Junction to Wolverley in a day (especially if Jane has any problem with the trains) but after all those locks we would be happy to moor there for Sunday night - in which case, we might even arrive just after midday (on 29th June)  - which would be good for a Sunday afternoon Banter! Anyone up for it?

Sadly, we won't make Dudley Port Junction to Wolverley in a day (especially if Jane has any problem with the trains)

Maybe not, it would be a good day's work, and as you're deep-draughted you may find the lower end of the Stourbridge flight slow going.

but after all those locks we would be happy to moor there for Sunday night - in which case, we might even arrive just after midday (on 29th June) - which would be good for a Sunday afternoon Banter! Anyone up for it?

Why not? Let's ask them. I'll start a new thread.

We could always start on Saturday without you :o

Well, there's the Dry Dock at Windmill End (very close after the tunnel), then you're through Brierley Hill and down the 9-locks (all 8 of them), then start down the Stourbridge flight. Around lock 5 (from memory, that Nicholson's on the boat) there's the Samson & Lion. It might not look like the sort of place you would ordinarily choose to moor, but we have, 2 or 3 times, with no problem whatsoever. Food's decent, prices are reasonable.

There's nothing at Stourton, to my mind Kinver is over-rated (and you'll be lucky to find visitor moorings), but it's only another hour to Wolverley, good moorings either side of The Lock, and I second Paul's post.

The Samson & Lion is between Locks 4 & 5 or you could moor by us between 11 and 12 and there are several pubs within a couple of minutes walk.

• 2 weeks later...
We are having to re-plan our Summer cruising because Jane will have to work and I don't fancy doing the Thames/Kennet & Avon/Bristol Channel single handed. So I will now take the boat up the Oxford, Coventry, Birmingham & Fazeley and BCN to Stourport, thence down the Severn to Saul Junction for the Festival where I have volunteered to work behind the bar!

Hopefully Jane (who can only have ten days off work) will join me by train just before we go through Netherton Tunnel. Can anyone advise if there is convenient access to the Birmingham Level towpaths near Dudley Port Railway Station? From Google Maps it looks as if there might be access from the aqueduct that spans Dudley Port main road.

Hi Graham and Jane,

I came through Dudley Port yesterday and think there may be access but can't be sure from where. I've driven underneath plenty of times and think there is access from the main rd.... There is of course much easier access at Tipton as I'm sure you are aware but this is of course not ideal as it is a good 30min walk...

I work not far from Dudley Port in West Brom and I'll do a recce for you, please let me know if you still need to clarify.

Cheers Phil

Hi Graham and Jane,

I came through Dudley Port yesterday and think there may be access but can't be sure from where. I've driven underneath plenty of times and think there is access from the main rd.... There is of course much easier access at Tipton as I'm sure you are aware but this is of course not ideal as it is a good 30min walk...

I work not far from Dudley Port in West Brom and I'll do a recce for you, please let me know if you still need to clarify.

Cheers Phil

Just read Moley message so that looks sorted for you, just trying to be helpful...!