route advice please

vince1969

Featured Posts

hi all

am heading up to the llangollen next monday from oxford which is best route to take is it through brum then wolverhampton onto the shroppie there or is there another route which is similar (longer but less locks) idid have a map of the waterways but put it on the roof and took my eyes off it for a second and it took off and plotted up in a tree

thanks

vince

I don't think you have too many choices through Birmingham itself, unless you want to go a much longer route round.

You can either take the "new" main line or the "old" main line. I think the old route is the more interesting, but why not go one way, and come back the other.

Before you hit Birmingham you have the choice as to whether to go the whole way in on the Grand Union, passing Knowle. Or you can turn off at Kingswood Junction onto the Northern Stratford, and then the Worcester & Birmingham. In my view the latter is the nicer of those two routes.

Hi again.

go to www.waterscape.com and you can view maps of the canals, but have your pen and paper ready to note down the route you want to take...

[the route of the canal is high lighted in red after map is loaded.] :P

many thanks

The longer route through Braunston, Hawkesbury, Fazeley, Fradley, left at Great Haywood and on to the Shropie at Autherley is about 36 miles longer with about 66 fewer locks, and probably a little less than a day longer.

The longer route through Braunston, Hawkesbury, Fazeley, Fradley, left at Great Haywood and on to the Shropie at Autherley is about 36 miles longer with about 66 fewer locks, and probably a little less than a day longer.

Which is the route I took. If you have the time you could also pop up the Ashby, too. The Shropie (and the small part of the Llangollen I've seen so far!) is a fantastic cut; and has the most amazing view I've seen so far - stop at High Offley, walk up to the Church, and look over Cheshire and Shropshire over into the mountains of Wales. Stunning.

And then spend the evening in The Anchor. (But take cash with you! No plastic faclilities.) A wonderful, locked in a time-bubble, little place.

I did the trip last October/November great trip!! Go through Birmingham and leave time for stay at Gas Street Basin without a doubt the best city mooring on the system.

I will be on Shroppie Norbury for next few weeks having boat blackened so stop and say hello.

this must be the route chap was talking about little longer but less locks

thanks

I did the trip last October/November great trip!! Go through Birmingham and leave time for stay at Gas Street Basin without a doubt the best city mooring on the system.

I will be on Shroppie Norbury for next few weeks having boat blackened so stop and say hello.

will do ,looking forward to the shroppie again passed down from nantwich 18 mnts ago when first bought boat ,crash course in boating that was after having never been on one before