Boat Trips to Bingley Five Rise Locks?

Eyon

Featured Posts

Hi there all,

I was just looking for a passenger boat trip company in Bradford.

I found appollo cruisers in shipley wharf... but after some googling- apparently they went bust in 2006...

so are there anymore that do trips down the 5 rise that anyone knows of?

thanks, Ed.

Edited by Eyon

Hi there all,

I found appollo cruisers in shipley wharf... but after some googling- apparently they went bust in 2006...

thanks, Ed.

As far as I know no one does a trip that includes a transit of the Five Rise in a passenger/trip boat. There are hire boat bases at Silsden, Snaygill and Skipton but you'll need at least a couple of days to get from any of those places to the Five Rise and back. There are days boats at Snaygill and Skipton but it's a 7/8 hour trip from Skipton and a 6/7 hour trip from Snaygill to the top of the Five Rise. It's only thirteen miles from Skipton but there are 19 swing bridges, only three of which are usually left in the open position. The other complication is that going down and then back up the Five Rise, just for the hell of it, is frowned on by the Lock Keepers. I've known them insist a couple of hire boats leave one boat at the top of the Five Rise and all share one boat for a trip down to Saltaire and back on the same day.

There are a couple of broad beam trip boats at Skipton, you don't get anywhere near Bingley, or Gargrave in the opposite direction, 'cos it's a three hour cruise I think, but it's a decent trip.

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there all,

thanks, Ed.

And just to make things more difficult, you'll find some day boats are not licenced for lock passage, which means that even if you can find one in the right area, you may not be allowed to go through a lock ! Something to do with the licence being cheaper, or so I was lead to beleive.. when I made enquiries along a similar line..