Buying a boat and mooring questions...

stort_mark

Featured Posts

SWMBO seems to approve of the general concept (The precise words were "Will it shut you up? Will you stop driving 60 miles to 'walk the dogs' and...ohhhhh...what a surprise....there's a canal here!") and agreed to get a boat.

It's actually something we've been considering for a long time.

The 'problem' is that we live at a far-flung, remote end of the waterways network. There are marinas and moorings in the area, but we want to spend our weekends travelling further afield, to see such mystic and exotic places as Uxbridge, Slough, Tring and then into all kinds of wonderful lands that lie around places like Walsall and Leicester.

Now the question I have is how does it work with temporary moorings. We want to move the boat from a mooring to another one every couple of months and spend the intervening weekends and occasional weeks exploring the area.

How easy is that to do, in terms of arranging the mooring at secure places? What can we expect to pay for a few weeks moorings at a marina? Is there a "mooring swap" scheme, maybe like a time-share scheme? Much as we love the Stort and the Lea, we do want to see the rest of the oyster.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

On a related note, we are interested in boat-sharing with another one or two families for a narrow-boat of around 45-55 feet. However, as our objective here is to get out and about' we are happy with a boat that "does the business". We are two 40-somethings with two petulant teens and two petulant Spaniels who will be joined occasionally by two ridiculously gregarious in-laws; so we need a boat with 6 berths. And somewhere for the in-laws to sleep. We are thinking, as I say, of sharing the boat with similar-natured family or families who don't mind their boat running aground in the depths of Birmingham or shooting the rapids at Salters Lode at some stage. The intended boat will have character (translation- fairly old..built maybe 1980s), one bow-thruster (father-in-law with pole) and probably rather too much formica and curtains that were probably never in fashion. It will probably be the kind of boat you see at the very, very, very furthest moorings from President, etc at waterways festivals. The idea is to get out, see the countryside, enjoy our heritage, spend occasional time updating the boat.

I echo your sentiments.

My now sadly foundering project was in effect a holiday boat, for me and my buddies to spend quality leisure time on, moor safely from time to time in between crews, 6 berth at least, no nasty 240v electrics to complicate matters, permanent berths not necessary, in fact a low-maintenance easy-care boat.

Unfortunately viewers so far have wanted permanent double berth, 240v, water-cooled engine, etc. So maybe I won't be selling just yet!

But if I do sell her, once I have regrouped and got some vital domestic chores out of the way, my next boat will be exactly the same ethos.

I have the engine already!

Unless you can live aboard and slowly cruise the system, its very difficult to be mobile.

Many boat owners have romantic intentions to be water gypsies and very often the reality is very different.

We slow cruise the system but often leave the boat at boatyards for several weeks or when I'm travelling.

Its not a cheap option.

I have friends who used to leave their boat at different boatyards all week and move her at weekends - thats fine if you can do it every

weekend, but how many people can do that when they have other family commitments ???

You also have to consider the car shuttles if you do this - could involve driving to Birmingham in two cars or using cabs ??

It might be worth looking at hiring (there is a wide range of boats out there now - small basic to very upmarket.

Professional part shares are good but the Challenger crash has left a bit of a nasty taste.

Unless you can live aboard and slowly cruise the system, its very difficult to be mobile.

Yes this is an issue that we are trying to address. It's not easy and I suspect that the costs will add up.

Many boat owners have romantic intentions to be water gypsies and very often the reality is very different.

We slow cruise the system but often leave the boat at boatyards for several weeks or when I'm travelling.

Its not a cheap option.

Agreed. Our plan is just to use the boat to see England at weekends, moving 'base' from time to time after we have explored at the weekends and the occasional week or two of holiday.

... thats fine if you can do it every weekend, but how many people can do that when they have other family commitments ???

We are not rushing into it. We could actually buy a boat this weekend, but we want to think through the practicalities. We may do nothing for another year or two. The canals will still be there :D

You also have to consider the car shuttles if you do this - could involve driving to Birmingham in two cars or using cabs ??

Yes. This is an issue. The intention on any weekend would be out and back, exploring the local waterways. Then drive home afterwards. Keen to use the train as well.

It might be worth looking at hiring (there is a wide range of boats out there now - small basic to very upmarket.

Cost adds up dramtically. Did wonder why there was no 'Last Minute' scheme on the internet for people to check what is available around the waterways network that weekend. However, suspect that hire boat business economics do not allow for much further discount than is already available, given the possible extra admin involved.

All lots of questions to answer, and all part of the fun. In the meantime, the occasional holiday hire and plenty of dog-walking keeps us happy. It's just the strange looks I get from other towpath users when I walk past, going 'Chug Chug Chug' with my hand on an imaginary tiller.

Edited by stort_mark

If you plan ahead, it should be possible to move from one temporary secure mooring to another (outside winter stoppages, anyway). Effectively we did that last year when we repatriated Egret to the frozen North in four long weekends. However:

(1) BW will need you to have a designated permanent mooring (which costs ££) or be a continuous cruiser (ditto £££)

(2) You will pay again for the marina moorings along the way, although some are much cheaper than others: we paid £120 for 11 days at Milton Keynes, but only £25 for 11 days at Rugby Wharf

(3) Some moorings are close to railway stations (if you are prepared for a 20-minute walk) but you still need to shuttle by car to shift stuff on and off board. Plan ahead ...

However, if you're prepared to drive for an hour to walk a dog along the cut, none of this should put you off! I'm of a similar mindset (but I don't bother with a dog).

Ian