Wallas Cookers

MiddlewichNarrowBoats

Featured Posts

Hi All

For those of you not aware, I run a fleet of 15 all diesel hire boats all fitted with wallas cookers and have had them fitted for 3 years or so (2 different models).

We had lots of teething problems, and customer errors but we have now ironed them all out and am offering the opportunity for any on line help and support for anyone that has them fitted or thinking of fitting them.

SO ASK AWAY..................................

Adam

Hi All

For those of you not aware, I run a fleet of 15 all diesel hire boats all fitted with wallas cookers and have had them fitted for 3 years or so (2 different models).

We had lots of teething problems, and customer errors but we have now ironed them all out and am offering the opportunity for any on line help and support for anyone that has them fitted or thinking of fitting them.

Adam

Adam,

I've got the 86D oven and 85DU hob (from Kuranda) but I'm many months away from fitting them in the boat - still an empty shell in the garden!). I'll certainly bear your offer of help in mind when I get round to commissioning them so many thanks! They seem rather rare beasts in canal boats.

Richard

Hi All

Adam

Hello Adam

We had the cooker & hob fitted on our nb which is now 2 years old.

We had problems at the start & Kuranda came out twice and were very good.

However, it became a case of Kuranda blaming the boat builders & our (very good) boat builders saying that they had fitted it correctly.

The only problem which we still have is that the oven will screech for a few minutes after being turned on.

If you have come across this & know a cure, I would be very interested.

Thanks

Tony

Hi All

Adam

Hello Adam,

I've been reading the forums since joining but this is my first 'post' and it's the topic of the Wallas cooker that prompts it.

I took delivery of my new boat in late August 07, it's fitted with diesel cooking and heating. I'm developing an 'understanding relationship' with the Kabola 3d stove and the Wallas hob is brilliant.

I had my first attempt using the oven last weekend. After a number of failures at lighting, locking out and resetting etc, I gave up. The oven made the same noises as the hob but instead of the temp light staying on after the 'smoothening' it went to flashing/cooling down and the oven, and subsequently the boat, was full of fumes.

I rang Kuranda on Monday who said that based on what I'd told then they couldn't be sure what the problem was but it sounded as if it was an exhaust issue and advised I contact the boat builder. I did this and as I'm not moored far from them they came out but but they were also unable to get the oven functioning but assured me it had been lit and run successfully when the unit was installed. I'm waiting to hear that Kuranda are on the way but in the meantime any ideas?

Thanks

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronmar

Hello AdamWe had the cooker & hob fitted on our nb which is now 2 years old.We had problems at the start & Kuranda came out twice and were very good.However, it became a case of Kuranda blaming the boat builders & our (very good) boat builders saying that they had fitted it correctly. The only problem which we still have is that the oven will screech for a few minutes after being turned on.If you have come across this & know a cure, I would be very interested.ThanksTony
Hi TonyThe noise you hear is a fuel/air in balance this could be because the exhaust is too long or it has a large bend in it. Check the exhaust and try and make it as small as possible. If its the fuel then this is more complicated, you would need to adjust the pump. Do the exhaust first if that doesn't work get back to me and i will tell u what to do next.Adam
Hello Adam,I've been reading the forums since joining but this is my first 'post' and it's the topic of the Wallas cooker that prompts it. I took delivery of my new boat in late August 07, it's fitted with diesel cooking and heating. I'm developing an 'understanding relationship' with the Kabola 3d stove and the Wallas hob is brilliant. I had my first attempt using the oven last weekend. After a number of failures at lighting, locking out and resetting etc, I gave up. The oven made the same noises as the hob but instead of the temp light staying on after the 'smoothening' it went to flashing/cooling down and the oven, and subsequently the boat, was full of fumes.I rang Kuranda on Monday who said that based on what I'd told then they couldn't be sure what the problem was but it sounded as if it was an exhaust issue and advised I contact the boat builder. I did this and as I'm not moored far from them they came out but but they were also unable to get the oven functioning but assured me it had been lit and run successfully when the unit was installed. I'm waiting to hear that Kuranda are on the way but in the meantime any ideas?ThanksBronwyn
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm now thats a thinker lol. It could be a number of things. If you have done to many resets then you could of flooded the burner pot with fuel. it could also be a faulty glow plug. I could identify the problem if you told me the light sequence, i.e what flashes and how long for.Have you been shown how to service the cooker yet?Adam

Hi TonyThe noise you hear is a fuel/air in balance this could be because the exhaust is too long or it has a large bend in it. Check the exhaust and try and make it as small as possible. If its the fuel then this is more complicated, you would need to adjust the pump. Do the exhaust first if that doesn't work get back to me and i will tell u what to do next.Adamhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm now thats a thinker lol. It could be a number of things. If you have done to many resets then you could of flooded the burner pot with fuel. it could also be a faulty glow plug. I could identify the problem if you told me the light sequence, i.e what flashes and how long for.Have you been shown how to service the cooker yet?Adam

Thanks Adam -- The boat is going back to the builders at Easter for a couple of jobs, so I'll get them to look at the exhaust.

I would be interested in how to service the cooker/hob.

Cheers

Tony

Hi TonyThe noise you hear is a fuel/air in balance this could be because the exhaust is too long or it has a large bend in it. Check the exhaust and try and make it as small as possible. If its the fuel then this is more complicated, you would need to adjust the pump. Do the exhaust first if that doesn't work get back to me and i will tell u what to do next.Adamhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm now thats a thinker lol. It could be a number of things. If you have done to many resets then you could of flooded the burner pot with fuel. it could also be a faulty glow plug. I could identify the problem if you told me the light sequence, i.e what flashes and how long for.Have you been shown how to service the cooker yet?Adam

Hi Adam.

I'll check the sequences when I'm back on the boat and let you know.

I did wonder if it was flooded, how can you check? Also wondered if the external temp affects the fuel flow?

No, not been shown how to service the cooker or the fire! I understand the oven was the first the boatbuilder had installed so he may not be too sure himself, I'll ask.

Thanks

Bronwyn

Hi Adam.I'll check the sequences when I'm back on the boat and let you know. I did wonder if it was flooded, how can you check? Also wondered if the external temp affects the fuel flow? No, not been shown how to service the cooker or the fire! I understand the oven was the first the boatbuilder had installed so he may not be too sure himself, I'll ask.ThanksBronwyn
Are you close to middlewich because i could show you. It may be flooded yes, you say that it smokes when you switch it on? If that is the case then it may of had a few fail starts and it would need servicing.Adam
Thanks Adam -- The boat is going back to the builders at Easter for a couple of jobs, so I'll get them to look at the exhaust.I would be interested in how to service the cooker/hob.CheersTony
I could show you if you can get to middlewich.Adam

Are you close to middlewich because i could show you. It may be flooded yes, you say that it smokes when you switch it on? If that is the case then it may of had a few fail starts and it would need servicing.AdamI could show you if you can get to middlewich.Adam

Hi Adam,

many thanks for the offer, I'll bear it in mind. I'm currently on the GU south of Braunston.

Re the fumes etc, yes I'm getting an oven full of 'smoke' with an accompanying diesel pong when I attempt the lighting.

Is the servicing difficult and does the oven/hob need removing to do it?

Are you close to middlewich because i could show you. It may be flooded yes, you say that it smokes when you switch it on? If that is the case then it may of had a few fail starts and it would need servicing.AdamI could show you if you can get to middlewich.Adam

Many thanks Adam--- the next time I am up your way, I'll give you a call to see if you're free. Tony

Many thanks Adam--- the next time I am up your way, I'll give you a call to see if you're free. Tony
Ok TonyA couple of days notice will be required Though.
Hi Adam,many thanks for the offer, I'll bear it in mind. I'm currently on the GU south of Braunston.Re the fumes etc, yes I'm getting an oven full of 'smoke' with an accompanying diesel pong when I attempt the lighting. Is the servicing difficult and does the oven/hob need removing to do it?
HiYes the oven will need moving to do a service as the burner pot and glow plug are located at the bottom rear of the oven and on the underside of the hob. Regards the servicing, this is fairly simple once you have been shown how. It does surprise me that your boat builder or Kuranda haven't offered to show you.Adam

• 4 weeks later...