Computer access on mobile

Bob and Sue

Featured Posts

We are hoping in the near future to purchase a cruiser, and start touring the French canals, and also off shore to visit England and parts of the Med. We would like to know what equipment we will need to be able to use our computer in all places at all times, also the cost of same. Is there anyone already doing this?

You are getting into big costs with this one

A) some countries do not have 3G but France does so you can use it there. the cost of using in France is £5.28 per MB

:closedeyes: there is not much point in buying a large data package with the card as it is not usable anywhere other than the UK.

C) the cost of the basic card is£225 +vat on a very low say 1MB package but this will be less if you take a larger basic bundle.

You could do it with a mobile connect card at £125 +vat but the saving on the card cost would be soon eaten up by the cost of using it at the slower speed whilst over there.

Edited by Richard Bustens

We are hoping in the near future to purchase a cruiser, and start touring the French canals, and also off shore to visit England and parts of the Med.  We would like to know what equipment we will need to be able to use our computer in all places at all times, also the cost of same.  Is there anyone already doing this?

Keep it simple!

Apart from a PC, obviously! in my case, a normal desk top PC, I use a Nokia 3220,cost £80, a data cable, cost £30 which comes with software that tells you how to set it up. I use GPRS,its not the quickest method, but its the cheapest. You only pay for what you download, so, you can surf the net 24/7 if you want, won't cost a penny.

Be sure to get your phone GPRS activated.

GPRS works throughout Europe, I've used this method as far afield as Hungary,Finland and most places inbetween, it's what I'm using right now!

Ted Cooper

Keep it simple!

Apart from a PC, obviously! in my case, a normal desk top PC, I use a Nokia 3220,cost £80, a data cable, cost £30 which comes with software that tells you how to set it up. I use GPRS,its not the quickest method, but its the cheapest. You only pay for what you download, so, you can surf the net 24/7 if you  want, won't cost a penny.

GPRS works throughout Europe, I've used this method as far afield as Hungary,Finland and most places inbetween, it's what I'm using right now!

Ted Cooper

Keep it simple!

Apart from a PC, obviously! in my case, a normal desk top PC, I use a Nokia 3220,cost £80, a data cable, cost £30 which comes with software that tells you how to set it up. I use GPRS,its not the quickest method, but its the cheapest. You only pay for what you download, so, you can surf the net 24/7 if you  want, won't cost a penny.

Ted Cooper

Well Ted

I would like to know how you work that out

If you are surfing the net you are sending and recieving data so you are incuring a cost. and a big one at that.

I use my lap top for internet usage in this country and an average usage is 400MB per month and that is not excessive.

Where as a 3G dedicated card will cost £5 odd per MB, gprs through a phone or cardwill cost on orange £10 inc vat per Mb and on v/fone£10.28 per MB charged in 10 KB blocks.

You also pay for uploads as well as downloads.

So it is by no means the cheepest way to do it , unless you want to retreve the odd email.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a T mobile gprs datacard in my laptop, costs 15 squid a month for 100mb, very slow, very anoying, and very cheap !

I dont get a good signal everywhere though, anyone know how to boost it ?

And i'd just like to thank mr rogue dialler, and mr spyware and mrs trojan for all their kind attention.

We are hoping in the near future to purchase a cruiser, and start touring the French canals, and also off shore to visit England and parts of the Med.  We would like to know what equipment we will need to be able to use our computer in all places at all times, also the cost of same.  Is there anyone already doing this?

It might be obvious but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Obviously, a mobile GSM phone connected to your computer will give you some form of coverage (quality debatable) on the rivers and canals. Do not rely on the mobile for the channel and med coast. If you are serious about going out of the sight of land, you will need a marine VHF for safety purposes.

If you want internet or long range communications, there are satellite products out there and some of them are quite compact now, but none are particularly cheap.