Help!! need to connect tv sound to radio.

Keithtug

Featured Posts

I have bought a flat screen tv ready to use on stormsong when it's finished and find that the sound quality is abysmal from speakers about half an inch by 3 inches. I wish to connect the audio out to the aux input on our Bose radio but the TV only has a digital optical audio output, and the Aux input on the radio is normal analogue phono sockets. I know I can get a digital optical to digital phono converter from Maplins but I can't find anything to convert digital to analogue. I am using it at the moment with the headphone output from the TV connected to the radio aux in, but the amplification slopes don't match very well ( a small change in sound output from the TV gives a very large change in volume from the radio, so I have to constantly juggle with the volume controls.).

Or am I being stupid, and could just connect the TV and the radio without a digital to analogue converter? I am loath to try it as they both cost too much of my hard earned cash! If anyone out there can help, I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Keithtug

:lol::D:smiley_offtopic::)

Surprised that the TV has got a digital optical out but hasn't got a normal Aux out too (No red and white phono plugs on the back). What make and model is it?

You probably could get an optical -> aux converter, but I bet it would be bloody expensive and be another battery drain.

Another alternative could be the scart socket if you've not got a DVD plugged into it - you can get simple scart -> phono converters. (This does of course depend on if the TV does send anything OUT the scart, mind!)

(edit for clarity, and for once spelling 'scart' as 'scarf' ...)

Edited by Chris J W

I have bought a flat screen tv ready to use on stormsong when it's finished and find that the sound quality is abysmal from speakers about half an inch by 3 inches. I wish to connect the audio out to the aux input on our Bose radio but the TV only has a digital optical audio output, and the Aux input on the radio is normal analogue phono sockets. I know I can get a digital optical to digital phono converter from Maplins but I can't find anything to convert digital to analogue. I am using it at the moment with the headphone output from the TV connected to the radio aux in, but the amplification slopes don't match very well ( a small change in sound output from the TV gives a very large change in volume from the radio, so I have to constantly juggle with the volume controls.).

Or am I being stupid, and could just connect the TV and the radio without a digital to analogue converter? I am loath to try it as they both cost too much of my hard earned cash! If anyone out there can help, I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Keithtug

:lol::D:smiley_offtopic::)

I use one of those small radio transmitters plugged into the headphone socket. It works well. You just tune the radio into the correct frequency. This Kind of thing - http://www.shoppingcentre.net/shop/ipod-tr...CFQJrMAodbnlOAA although mine charges from a cigar lighter. I got mine from Comet.

We also use it on the iPod and the laptop

Thanks Chris, Chris & Alan,

the TV is a Samsung 225MD 22 inch. there are loads of connectors on the back but they are all inputs except the digital optical audio out. Here's a list! 1/ DVI PC IN. 2/ DVI-D IN. 3/ HDMI/PC DVI-D AUDIO IN. 4/ HDMI IN.

5/ DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL). 6/ EXT(RGB) [sCART]. 7/ PHONO AUDIO (L & R) IN AND PHONO VIDEO IN (3 Sockets).

The reason I want to connect to the radio is its excellent sound quality, so using small extra speakers would defeat the object of the excercise. The Scart idea sounds OK if, as you say, the TV has outputs connected. I do have a DVD connected to it but that's not a problem as I can make a Scart break-out box and tap off the audio signals to a couple of phono sockets.

By the way, sorry, I made a mistake in my original post. The AUX in on the radio isn't phono sockets but a 3.5mm stereo jack socket.

Thanks again, I'll let you know if it works when I get chance to try it.

Cheers,

Keithtug

:D:D:):lol:

Edited by Keithtug

Confused ... just googled "Samsung 225MD 22 inch" and it seems to be a Monitor, not a Television? I stand to be corrected, mind!

If it is only monitor for attaching to Home Entertainment kit then I'd not be surprised that it doesn't have Audio out options as you'ld normally expect the DVD player, say, to provide sound via a Surround Sound system.

Edited by Chris J W

Confused ... just googled "Samsung 225MD 22 inch" and it seems to be a Monitor, not a Television? I stand to be corrected, mind!

If it is only monitor for attaching to Home Entertainment kit then I'd not be surprised that it doesn't have Audio out options as you'ld normally expect the DVD player, say, to provide sound via a Surround Sound system.

It really is a TV but has the facility built in to allow it to be used as a PC Monitor.

(I've just been watching the snooker)

cheers

Keithtug

It really is a TV but has the facility built in to allow it to be used as a PC Monitor.

(I've just been watching the snooker)

cheers

Keithtug

Ok!

One suggestion - try the Audio Phono's as an Output when in TV mode. You never know!

Failing that - as it is a TV (Freeview?) then it probably would be likely that the SCART supports audio/visual Out - so use Scart -> Phono convertor and then use the DVD players component outputs rather than the Scart.

I am really amazed that this TV does not have an audio out in the form of a pair of red and white phone plugs...

I must make sure I check this very carefully when I purchase an equivalent for home.

Surely the SCART (much as I loath them) will provide audio out? Maybe this was the manufactures idea?

I am really amazed that this TV does not have an audio out in the form of a pair of red and white phone plugs...

I must make sure I check this very carefully when I purchase an equivalent for home.

Surely the SCART (much as I loath them) will provide audio out? Maybe this was the manufactures idea?

The full SCART spec does have audio out, yes, but some 'cheaper' TVs don't have the electronics to support that and only use the SCART as an input source. However, as this is a decent make Freeview TV I'd be outstandingly surprised if the SCART didn't support full video and audio out for use with a VCR/DVD-RW

On the phono side - this has prompted me to check my Polaroid TV and have just discovered that it also doesn't have audio phono out.