Boating Ireland

Fletcher

Featured Posts

hi all,

Its been a while since my first introductory post, but now that wer getting that much closer to our barge becoming a reality there will be alot more input from myself! so apologies for being rude and reading but not posting up until now.

anyways back on topic.

myself and other half have been planning for years now on living on a barge (in Ireland) and have been pretty much living in a bedroom the past couple of years. all was going well until we hit a brick wall - basically "Barge" marine mortgages seem to be non excistant in Ireland. apparently barges do not fit the marine mortgage cryteria. Whats all that about? I dont understand it iether.

So what Im asking is - are there any others here that have any experiance with mortgaging a barge in Ireland?

also it looks like we will be having the Barge built in the UK as we cannot seem to find any builders over here.

any tips, pointers or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

hi all,

Its been a while since my first introductory post, but now that wer getting that much closer to our barge becoming a reality there will be alot more input from myself! so apologies for being rude and reading but not posting up until now.

anyways back on topic.

myself and other half have been planning for years now on living on a barge (in Ireland) and have been pretty much living in a bedroom the past couple of years. all was going well until we hit a brick wall - basically "Barge" marine mortgages seem to be non excistant in Ireland. apparently barges do not fit the marine mortgage cryteria. Whats all that about? I dont understand it iether.

So what Im asking is - are there any others here that have any experiance with mortgaging a barge in Ireland?

also it looks like we will be having the Barge built in the UK as we cannot seem to find any builders over here.

Thanks

Colin

Strictly speaking you will not get a marine mortgage in Ireland but It is in theory possible to get the bank to look at other types of advance based on the boat being the security if you can charm the bank manager.

hi all,

anyways back on topic.

Thanks

Colin

I know the perfect builder, if you want to know, pm me. The builder will probably be able to point you to a marine mortgage or failing that, you can get one in this country or in the UK. It can be cheaper or more expensive getting a mortgage in Euros depending on the exchange rate.

You could also look to Poland for a boat builder, possibly through the New Boat people. You could then do the whole deal in Euros and not have the cost and risk of converting to sterling. Dont just confine yourself to a new build though. There can be some great boats on the used market that are ready to take away right now, unencumbered with all the heartache and considerable risk of new build.

There is absolutely no tradition of inland boating in Ireland so the banks will have no policy on lending for a boat. You might try a bank that operates in both the UK and Ireland, they may be able to extend a UK marine product to you through their Irish presence (Barclays, RBS).

As for borrowing in the UK, it may be possible but you will then have to put up with the great hidden shameful secret of clinging desperately to Sterling, interest rates in 'the sterling zone' are much higher than in the rest of Europe. Ah the price of sovereignty, a crippled export industry and and inflated cost of money.

we cannot seem to find any builders over here.

Riversdale Barge in County Leitrim build barges - both "wide-beam narrow boat" and "dutch barge" styles.

Their website only gives details of their barge holidays, but gives their contact details and has images of their hire boats (which they have built themselves).

http://www.riversdalebargeholidays.com/

(Use Internet Explorer to view that site as it crashes Firefox!)