National D3 Engine rebuild

Proper Job

Featured Posts

I know its not a 'boat build' blog, but its the start of that process.

Having just recently obtained a National D3 Industrial engine via ebay, I have started a blog that will follow the rebuild and marinisation of the engine.

Eventually it will be fitted in to a 62' tug hull.

For anyone interested, its at

http://d3national.blogspot.com/

If anyone else is interested, I have two 1941 Ailsa Craig RFR4's (40hp @ 1200 rpm) that I will be selling in the new year. I was about to start work on them but the National is now taking priority (and all spare cash!). Send me a PM if you would like to see them.

I know its not a 'boat build' blog, but its the start of that process.

Having just recently obtained a National D3 Industrial engine via ebay, I have started a blog that will follow the rebuild and marinisation of the engine.

Eventually it will be fitted in to a 62' tug hull.

For anyone interested, its at

http://d3national.blogspot.com/

If anyone else is interested, I have two 1941 Ailsa Craig RFR4's (40hp @ 1200 rpm) that I will be selling in the new year. I was about to start work on them but the National is now taking priority (and all spare cash!). Send me a PM if you would like to see them.

That looks like a generator governor, basically constant speed with fine adjustment. Might be a bit of a sticking point for your marine conversion. Although the standard variable speed governor as fitted to the marine engines was less than wonderful, I think you would do well to look out for one. I'm not sure whether that then entails fitting a different fuel pump camshaft (or some judicious extending of the existing shaft), I've done this change on a D4 but it was a loong time ago.

Tim

Hi Mr Job

i tried to reply via your blog but it all got a bit complicated (security picture not working).

I have a parts list for the DM series if it's any use to you.

Also a completely original style installation if you need any pictures taking.

The water pump on mine (raw water cooled) has a grease packed leather seal and works fine, needs re-packing every year or so when dribbling and the raw-water works a treat, except in the presence of duck-weed (memories of raking the water intake for 15 miles in the long pound above Devizes).

Good luck with your project though, a 3-cylinder National - drool. thumpety-thump

That looks like a generator governor, basically constant speed with fine adjustment. Might be a bit of a sticking point for your marine conversion. Although the standard variable speed governor as fitted to the marine engines was less than wonderful, I think you would do well to look out for one. I'm not sure whether that then entails fitting a different fuel pump camshaft (or some judicious extending of the existing shaft), I've done this change on a D4 but it was a loong time ago.

Tim

Tim

Thanks for your advice. Apparently the engine was used to drive variable speed shafting arrangements in a mill to lift corn/flour bags etc. Russell Newbery do not recognise the governer. Most RN marine units are horizontal ones, whilst mine is vertical. I'm hoping that the cam units that adjust the speed/spring resistance on the governer may give sufficient adjustment. RN have the alternative goverers available (at a cost) if needed. Time will tell(?).

In the mean time, if you can rake back through your memory for anything else that may help, I'd be obliged

• 5 months later...