Any suggestions

good7saint

Featured Posts

We have a boat booked from Sowerby Bridge next year with a 2 man crew (2nd week in October) planning on going CH as we went up the Rochdale last time we went from there.

What we really want is some ideas where to head for, mainly for good scenery, not bothered about how many locks as we enjoy them as part of the holiday.

We are experienced boaters now so know what we are doing.

Had toyed with the idea of heading to Bingley and back, would this be achievable for 2 in a week that time of year.

Other idea we are thinking of are heading for Huddersfield. but ideally would like a route that visits Leeds as I have friends there.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

And a merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone on the forum

We have a boat booked from Sowerby Bridge next year with a 2 man crew (2nd week in October) planning on going CH as we went up the Rochdale last time we went from there.

What we really want is some ideas where to head for, mainly for good scenery, not bothered about how many locks as we enjoy them as part of the holiday.

We are experienced boaters now so know what we are doing.

Had toyed with the idea of heading to Bingley and back, would this be achievable for 2 in a week that time of year.

Other idea we are thinking of are heading for Huddersfield. but ideally would like a route that visits Leeds as I have friends there.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

And a merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone on the forum

Hi,

You can do Leeds and back in six days, about eight hours a day cruising. Getting to Bingley would mean pushing it a bit. You could always take a train from Leeds to Bingley, the station is very near the foot of Bingley Three-rise and the Five-Rise is only five minutes walk away. Saltaire is worth a visit as well. The problem you would have taking the boat to Bingley is due to the opening hours of the section between Leeds and Newlay. Office Lock at Leeds and the locks up to Newlay are open 8am to 3pm (last passage) due to the problem that sometimes exists with troublemakers. Having said that we go there almost every year and apart from kids jumping into the locks as you're trying to navigate them we've never had a problem. It should be cold enough in October that they won't want to swim but if it's school holidays there will be a few around. The two, three lock staircases on that section have BW people staffing them to help you through and sometimes they will help with other locks as well. It's at least a day and a half from Leeds to Bingley although we usually take a couple of days to do it.

I would suggest that turning round at Leeds would allow you a bit more time to appreciate the scenery and enjoy the holiday. If you have time you could always nip up the Broad Canal to Aspley Basin, Huddersfield, it takes about three hours to get there from the junction with the C&H. Good places to stay include Elland, Brighouse, Mirfield/Shepley Bridge, Bingley Arms at Horbury Bridge, The Navigation below Broadcut Top Lock, Stanley Ferry, Woodlesford and Leeds itself. There are plenty of other quiet places to overnight. Stanley Ferry to Leeds is not particularly scenic. You're on the river most of the time and can't see much above the flood banks until you reach Lemonroyd.

The locks are broad locks and manually operated until you reach Broadreach Flood Lock just before Stanley Ferry. This, and all the rest up to Leeds are mechanised, all you need is a BW Watermate key and a thumb. Sometimes a lock-keeper will be on duty and operating the locks if there is any commercial traffic around during the week. Although they are huge locks they work very smoothly when boater operated. If a lock keeper is operating them you might have to hang on tightly to a line as they can open the sluices very quickly if the fancy takes them.

The one fly in the ointment is that in October you can reasonably expect some rain and the Calder and Hebble is notoriously "flashy". If it does rain heavily you might have a delay while waiting for the river level to fall. You will see that at the bottom of every lock that lets you out onto a river section there is a board indicating the river level. It's red, amber, green. I will go out on amber if it's stopped raining and the water level is falling but I would never go out on red, in fact I think my insurance would be invalidated if I did never mind the risk to myself. But a few hour of dryish weather will see levels fall back to normal.

Oh, and if you've got one of their boats with an air-cooled Lister engine take some earplugs, they don't half make a racket when you're pushing the boat at six miles an hour on the river.

Stewart

Excellent advice from Stewart. I used to moor near Castleford and enjoyed popping up to Leeds to do some shopping have a meal with wine and sleep on the boat. I really wouldn't bother going much further as the lovely scenary on the L&L only kicks in after Bingley. I'd head for Leeds, come back check times and if you have a spare couple of days wander up the Hudds Broad and Narrow.

Mail me nearer the time and I'll let you have some ideas for moorings and pubs etc.

Excellent advice from Stewart. I used to moor near Castleford and enjoyed popping up to Leeds to do some shopping have a meal with wine and sleep on the boat. I really wouldn't bother going much further as the lovely scenary on the L&L only kicks in after Bingley. I'd head for Leeds, come back check times and if you have a spare couple of days wander up the Hudds Broad and Narrow.

Mail me nearer the time and I'll let you have some ideas for moorings and pubs etc.

Thanks for that pretty much covers everything we needed to know.

And I will mail you nearer the time Richard as that was going to be the next question I asked, places to moor and pubs