Choosing a separate LPG oven/grill

BecsF

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a built-in (i.e. separate from hob) oven/grill that is LPG gas only, with no need for 240v. All the ones I'm finding seem to require an inverter or mains power - usually to power a fan which keeps the outside cool. Is this necessary or can I run one of these without hooking it up to electric power? (we are liveaboard boaters and don't want to use the inverter for cooking). I saw in a previous forum thread this one recommended - Belling 170MLPG - but I can't find it available any more. It looks like it has been replaced with this - https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/belling-bi702lpgpr-built-in-oven-n654  which apparently requires 240v (because of the cooling fan). 

The boat is a narrowboat and we have space for 60cm wide and 60cm deep (the depth of the current, not working, oven). Ideally we'd like a single oven, with a gas grill inside, but double oven/grill also good. We would like to go for a domestic type if possible.

If anyone knows of any suitable models we'd be v grateful for the pointers. It's hard to tell from the specs whether they can be made to run safely without electric power (e.g. using a lighter for ignition and not having a clock), or whether it's just not possible.

Thank you!

I've got a standard cooker and hob arrangement, a Newworld 55TWLG. It also has the mains cooling fan. I don't switch the main inverter on every time I need to use the oven or toaster but have a small 150 watt inverter sitting next to the oven and switch that on. It would be good to have a 12v fan, but that's life.