A & B Wroe boat builders - any info?

WillSallow

Featured Posts

Alec & Brian Wroe. I think they were based on a farm in  Pollington, on the Aire & Calder. That was in the 90's. One of my neighbours in Blue Water Marina back then had a small Dutch Barge called 'Celine' built by Alec Wroe and looked a nice thing. A small scale outfit.

Edited by Joe Bourke

16 hours ago, Joe Bourke said:

Alec & Brian Wroe. I think they were based on a farm in  Pollington, on the Aire & Calder. That was in the 90's. One of my neighbours in Blue Water Marina back then had a small Dutch Barge called 'Celine' built by Alec Wroe and looked a nice thing. A small scale outfit.

Wow, thanks so much! How do you know this info? I’ve found the most beautiful boat built by them- it has a wheelhouse, a vintage astern/afoot wheel and loads of old wood beams. I love knowing the history of it

Alex Wroe, (maybe Alec) was up near Goole for a while. He built boats for a few fitters and his own customers. Nice fellow used sage as I remember him showing me many, many years ago, told me to do my books using sage, much easier.

His boats were nice enough, it was a very tight workshop he had when I saw him, but he was having to move I think, not sure what happened to him after that. I am going back to 89/90 perhaps.

Built some for Jaris Boatbuilders, they used primarily Liverpool Boats for shells as did Bridgewater. But they needed more and the overflow went to Wroe.