Help Please - Banging Calorifier

Shaggy

Featured Posts

Hi

Hope someone can help, we recently ran out of water (water guage was faulty). I filled up and let the taps run to get the air out of the system. Now the calorifier bangs when the hot water tap is not on. I have opened the pressure valve at the top and this relieves the problem temporarily - but the release of pressure banging quickly returns. Any ideas?

Much appreciated

Shaggy

Hi

Hope someone can help, we recently ran out of water (water guage was faulty). I filled up and let the taps run to get the air out of the system. Now the calorifier bangs when the hot water tap is not on. I have opened the pressure valve at the top and this relieves the problem temporarily - but the release of pressure banging quickly returns. Any ideas?

Much appreciated

Shaggy

A long shot - don't suppose you have a solid fuel stove with a back boiler that you have just started using again? If so this sounds more like water boiling.

If not then have a look at the outlet of the PRV on top of the calorifier. If this keeps spurting water then I think your pump cut out pressure is too close to the PRV opening pressure and water hammer keeps jumping the valve up. This reduces the pressure so the valve shuts and the pump runs in an ever re[eating sequence.

Lots of things cause water hammer, but in your case I suspect you have some air trapped in the pipework somewhere. The accumulator suggestion may also get rid of it.

Tony Brooks