carp tench and roach pike

Featured Posts

hi all i were just wondering whats the fishing like in the canals to be honest there dosnt seem to be much contribution to this particular forum can i take it that fishing enthuiasts arnt boaters or maybe boaters arnt fishing enthuiasts :D ???

hi janet i hope you arnt one of these po faced angleressess

Janet was a boater first, and has only taken up angling quite recently (but also quite seriously).

As a result, she is possibly unique in being an angleress who greets passing boaters with a cheery smile and actually talks to them.

As a result, she is possibly unique in being an angleress who greets passing boaters with a cheery smile and actually talks to them.

Yes, I do, and it's brilliant seeing the look of surprise on their faces! I know what it's like as a boater when you're approaching anglers, so I always make sure that I take my rod out of the water in plenty of time, and thank them if they slow down for me.

The place where I choose to fish on the canal is right next to a disused swing bridge, and many's the time a boat has slowed down to a stop (it's very narrow, so they can just hover there) and passed me a top-up for my cup of tea or a bacon butty, and stayed for a bit of a natter. Fortunately it's a lovely spot, and a great place for them to moor up for a while.

Since I started angling last summer, I've seen more grumpy boaters whilst angling than I've seen grumpy anglers whilst boating!

Janet

Yes, I do, and it's brilliant seeing the look of surprise on their faces! I know what it's like as a boater when you're approaching anglers, so I always make sure that I take my rod out of the water in plenty of time, and thank them if they slow down for me.The place where I choose to fish on the canal is right next to a disused swing bridge, and many's the time a boat has slowed down to a stop (it's very narrow, so they can just hover there) and passed me a top-up for my cup of tea or a bacon butty, and stayed for a bit of a natter. Fortunately it's a lovely spot, and a great place for them to moor up for a while.Since I started angling last summer, I've seen more grumpy boaters whilst angling than I've seen grumpy anglers whilst boating!Janet
hi jane t try this if your ledgering cast to your desired spot then slip another lead onto your line via i line clip then drop the lead down into the edge about 4 feet out so that your line runs along bottom then you can smile and leave your rod in !!
Janet was a boater first, and has only taken up angling quite recently (but also quite seriously).As a result, she is possibly unique in being an angleress who greets passing boaters with a cheery smile and actually talks to them.
yes i have read her posts i replied to one of them about 1 year 2 late

Thanks for the advice Colin!

I haven't done any ledgering for quite a while now - I tried it when I started, but found it far too easy, (and boring!) so on the canals now I concentrate on float fishing.

Your tip about the extra weight is good, but I think leaving your line IN the water scares the living bejasus out of some boaters - I know it used to worry me when I was boating, although not so much now as I understand how they're fishing.

I don't think it'll matter so much in the coming months, as the boat traffic will be a lot less.

One thing I did discover on our last boating trip however, which some of you may like to try - if you see an angler, try and cruise over his swim in neutral. That will be guaranteed to raise a smile and a thankyou wave! If only for a dozen yards before and after, it can make all the difference to his or her days fishing.

Janet

That makes some of us feel very inadequate

Sorry boys! I just didn't find ledgering "floated my boat", if you'll forgive the pun, although I still use ledger tactics on the river for chub, barbel etc. I think its a technique better suited for river angling, well, for me at least. On stillwaters, I prefer more of a challenge!

I've found I can be a lot more versatile when float fishing. Using some brilliant sliding float adaptors I have, with attached swivels, I can change floats, depth etc at a minutes notice when the fish start behaving like silly buggers.

Janet

you seem to be right into this fishing now janet good on ya do you have any decent size fish now and then i mainly go for carp im afraid and my float skills went out the window i was brought up o n the river itchen in hampshire float fishing is the way to go in rivers but takes a certain amount of skill to control float . i see that a lot now use feeder method for barbel chub etc in severn kennet o ne day i will have a go at this river lark again colin

Hi Colin,

Yes, I think you could say that I'm sort of "into" fishing".

I've had a few decent fish since I started. My two particular favourites are my best perch at 2lb 14oz, which I hope to beat this winter, a lovely pair of roach approaching the magic 2lb mark and a gudgeon of 4 1/2 oz, just a few ounces off the record for the species! If I'd realised how good a catch that was, I'd have taken some pictures!

I've had several good chub, and my best brown trout at 3lb 4oz, which was a real result for our local river. Normally a 1lb+ fish is a good catch from there. I've also had several chub and some nice brownies on my fly rod, but I'm still getting the hang of it. I'm very lucky as I'm being helped by Martin James, a lifelong angler, writer, broadcaster, and the host of "At the Waters Edge" on BBC Radio Lancashire. He takes me onto private waters where I wouldn't normally be able to fish, and had given me lots of invaluable advice.

I'm afraid I'm not into carp angling. Sitting by a bite alarm, watching a portable TV or DVD whilst waiting for something to happen isn't for me. However, I went fishing for perch on my local lake, and managed to catch two double figure mirror carp whilst everyone else blanked, so I must be doing something right! Everyone else was chucking boilies and PVA bags into the middle of the lake and doing nothing. I float fished maggots and worm in the margins and hooked two beauties one after another!

I've just become the only female member of a local angling club, after having to wait a year to be accepted, so expect some more good catch reports soon! When I went as a guest this summer, two of us caught 13 different species between us. I didn't report it on here, but there's a full write up of it on AnglersNet if you're interested.

Janet

Hi Colin,

Yes, I think you could say that I'm sort of "into" fishing".

I've had a few decent fish since I started. My two particular favourites are my best perch at 2lb 14oz, which I hope to beat this winter, a lovely pair of roach approaching the magic 2lb mark and a gudgeon of 4 1/2 oz, just a few ounces off the record for the species! If I'd realised how good a catch that was, I'd have taken some pictures!

I've had several good chub, and my best brown trout at 3lb 4oz, which was a real result for our local river. Normally a 1lb+ fish is a good catch from there. I've also had several chub and some nice brownies on my fly rod, but I'm still getting the hang of it. I'm very lucky as I'm being helped by Martin James, a lifelong angler, writer, broadcaster, and the host of "At the Waters Edge" on BBC Radio Lancashire. He takes me onto private waters where I wouldn't normally be able to fish, and had given me lots of invaluable advice.

I'm afraid I'm not into carp angling. Sitting by a bite alarm, watching a portable TV or DVD whilst waiting for something to happen isn't for me. However, I went fishing for perch on my local lake, and managed to catch two double figure mirror carp whilst everyone else blanked, so I must be doing something right! Everyone else was chucking boilies and PVA bags into the middle of the lake and doing nothing. I float fished maggots and worm in the margins and hooked two beauties one after another!

I've just become the only female member of a local angling club, after having to wait a year to be accepted, so expect some more good catch reports soon! When I went as a guest this summer, two of us caught 13 different species between us. I didn't report it on here, but there's a full write up of it on AnglersNet if you're interested.

Janet

hi janet i remeber martin james from my era ish i believe he used to do a few articles etc

yes your right a fair amount of carp fishing these days is done sat behind buzzers etc. but dont forget groundbaiting plays a l;arge part of the successfull carp angler . last year a mate and myself joined a small club come syndicate i had had good action on the water in previous years but had not been a member for severalc years . when i was a member before i was using about 20 kilos of particle come my own groundbait mix over a long weekend

i knew that the fish liked their bait so i gave it too them back then i was the first to use pva bags on there in the first 3 sessions i banked 63 fish . using catapulted groundbait mix with pva bags on hook recasts on all 3 sessions i had to not recast all rods by about 2.00am as i was creamcrackered fishing from sun morning thru till monday dinner time .

anyway back to my mate and me i decided that we should use some groundbait after the first weekend sorte as wecaught very few .

as he is keen i got him to go down after dark etc early morning to wack some bait in put about 40 - 50 kilos in at a rate of 10 a time over a fair area then tightening it down to the 2 swims we would fish

next weekend arrived and proceeded to catch and catch and catch . people wernt happy .

they seldom r if you catch and they dont

point is if you came along and saw us there sat down lasily behind our rods you may think hum those carp boys a lot of work went into catching those fish 6 session s over 300 carp nothing big the biggest fish in there were wild ies i had a 13.8 my mate had a 14 plus a lot of doubles

the other lads were getting 2 fish or so per session ??

re martin james i mailed him a couple of months as i sell quality pva bags on ebay and also to the trade i wanted to send him some free samples to try and maybe review them in his internet diary .

unfortunately i didnt get a reply from him.

i too have enjoyed perch ,roach fishing, etc

one afternoon i sat happily fishing in a lake ,my most favorite actually, sat there catching roach tench etc . the roach were of a nice size 6-9 inches long ish i had another good one on played it in got to the edge bang rod went over perch grabbed it played it for about 15minutes (2 1/2 straight thru)

massive perch i judged it to be around 4 1/2 lb just opened his gob dropped the fish which was a good roach 8inch + sods law tight lines to you dosnt sound as if you need good luck colin