Lister HRW 3 Gearbox

Jacq

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have a lister gear box mated to a HRW 3, On the gearbox it says " keep clutch and brake band adjusted to prevent slip"

Can any one tell me how to test if it is slipping and how to adjust it ? reduction Gearbox is type 2R2-1, Serial number 29119. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Jacq

Jacq, I'd think you notice if it was slipping. Loss of power would be the most noticable thing and also the inability to change from forwards to reverse easily.

Anyone ?

Edited by Jacq

• 1 month later...

Hi Jacq.

Just seen your post. If you're still concerned, I wouldn't be too bothered. If it is an installation that's been in place for some time and there's no noticeable change in performance, it's probably fine. If you do want to check, pop the top cover off and you will see the over centre mechanism. This has two adjustable screws which exert the pressure on the drive plates when forward is selected. According to Lister, they should be set, equally, such that a force of 44lbs is required to engage the ahead position, using a lever of 26 inches. If it's something like, and you have a push - pull lever, rather than a wind in, you will be able to feel it going over centre as it engages.

The reverse band should be set such that a force of 55lbs is required on the same lever. Unless the box has been much abused, it will likely see your boat out. The clutch discs are of a different order to most of the toy linings fitted in modern boxes. Don't forget that while the front bit of the box is lubricated with engine oil, the reduction section needs checking and filling manually.

Mike.