RIVER TRENT

mach1

Featured Posts

Mach1

Just to add to the good advice already given.  Don't economise on unsuitable chain and rope,  Your lives could depend on them.

1.  Get proper short link anchor chain from a chandler, not the large link stuff you can get from hardware stores.  The former is a lot less likely to kink in whatever you store it in.  (Get cheaper uncalibrated unless you have an anchor winch, which I suspect you don't.)

2.  The rope you get needs to be kink free nylon multiplait, not "normal" laid rope.  Some chandlers will supply such rope and chain spliced together. 

3.  Make sure the inboard end of the rope is securely tied to a strong point on the boat before you set off.  This may seem obvious, but it has been overlooked in the past...

55 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I agree that a danforth isn’t the best in many ways, but one way it is good is that it takes up very little space. The whole thing is a compromise, and on a small boat storage space has to carry a lot of significance.

But on a GRP cruiser (even a 23 footer) the anchor hangs over the bow ready for deployment. It is not a 'taker of space' unlike on a NB where it has to be stored 364 days of the year.

52 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Does anyone know if a danforth anchor on a narrowboat, on a river, with the correct length of chain, has ever failed to hold the boat when needed?

My only experience of a Danforth failing was failing in the 'expected' way - failure to set properly 1st time, and failure to hold without dragging.

57 foot NB,

15kg Danforth

'Loads of chain'

River Trent 

Cromwell lock

'Normal' flow (probably about 1.5 / 2 mph

There was a group of us just leaving the visitors pontoon (400 yards upstream of the weir)

Engine failed as he headed upstream.

He messed about trying to start the engine and as he passed level with the visitor pontoon he ran to the front and slowly deployed the anchor.

The anchor started to slow the boat, dragged, started to slow the boat dragged and finally 'set' (probably) less than 100 yards from the weir

Brown trousers time.

Two of us took turns in motoring past to try and get a line aboard and after 5 attempts we succeeded,

We towed him back to Newark.

Fortunately it was not a total failure as there was time  to try & re-set the anchor and distance for it to drag and reset itself.

Had he not responded so quickly, or had the engine failed nearer the weir the outcome may have been different.

The Danforth is a 1930's design, and, technology and anchor design has changed immensely in the last 80-90 years.

You only have to watch a video of the underwater performance comparing these early '1st generation' anchors to some of 'todays' anchors such as the Mantus or Manson.

If it is 'space' problem the likes of the Fortress, Mantus and Manson anchors all disassemble and will pack flatter than a Danforth, however, I suspect that one of the issues will be the cost for something you will never use.

I have a 30kg Mantus on the "Cat" which is currently one of the best small boat anchors available, but the cost is pretty high. I called 'all over' to find one that was 'old stock and negotiated the price down to £600 delivered (which was a fair bit below the RRP)

IMG_20170130_142240.jpg

IMG_20170130_142539.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But on a GRP cruiser (even a 23 footer) the anchor hangs over the bow ready for deployment. 

Do we know the OP's boat is designed to take a anchor at the bow?