Between Moving Out and Moving Onboard

Keith Lodge

Featured Posts

I would be interested to know from those who have already sold their house to liveaboard, what did you do about somewhere to live during the transition from house to boat. Especially if you had to sell the house before being able to buy the boat. Did you cadge living space from friends or family? Or did you manage to get a bridging loan?

Our new boat is due to be started this November, and rather than renting property during the build, once we have sold the house, I have thought about buying a second-hand narrowboat to live on until our new boat is finished. However having discussed with boat brokers the options, we are looking to have to move out of the house into some temporary accommodation, until the purchase of the second-hand boat is completed. Which according to the brokers takes about 3 weeks from when we decide which one we want to buy and actually getting the keys.

We may actually have a friend willing to rent us a room, but I am interested in finding out if there are other options available, which we have not considered. Most house rentals are a minimum 6 months, and we have tried local holiday flats and mobile holiday homes, which we have near us as we live, near the coast. The holiday flats are all but gone, and the mobile holiday homes close during the winter.

I would be interested to know from those who have already sold their house to liveaboard, what did you do about somewhere to live during the transition from house to boat. Especially if you had to sell the house before being able to buy the boat. Did you cadge living space from friends or family? Or did you manage to get a bridging loan?

Our new boat is due to be started this November, and rather than renting property during the build, once we have sold the house, I have thought about buying a second-hand narrowboat to live on until our new boat is finished. However having discussed with boat brokers the options, we are looking to have to move out of the house into some temporary accommodation, until the purchase of the second-hand boat is completed. Which according to the brokers takes about 3 weeks from when we decide which one we want to buy and actually getting the keys.

We may actually have a friend willing to rent us a room, but I am interested in finding out if there are other options available, which we have not considered. Most house rentals are a minimum 6 months, and we have tried local holiday flats and mobile holiday homes, which we have near us as we live, near the coast. The holiday flats are all but gone, and the mobile holiday homes close during the winter.

Not much help I'm afraid, we bought a second hand boat to live on so we moved out of our house and straight onto the boat the same day thanks to an EXCELLENT solicitor who magically transferred all the money in the right directions and to Victoria and John Currer for sorting it all out.

Paul

Hi,

We bought a caravan, and for the first few months(winter), we were on our friends spare driveway, then as soon as the season started we moved to a caravan site, near where I work.

If you buy a caravan, and its fairly modern, like this one, you wont be cold, as it has warm air blown central heating and a shower cubical etc.....all mod cons. Only drawback is its a bit cramped, but we have lived in it for the last 10 months!

I should say its the cheapest option, the caravan was about 8K and we pay £200 a month for the site, which includes all electric.

Edited by wynd lass(nb.Black Pearl)