Electric (or battery) pump out pump advise please

Ernie

Featured Posts

Does any one have an electric pump out pump? If so, what do you think of it (would you recommend it), where did you get it and how much did it cost?

I have a hand operated pump out pump (Lee Sanitation). It works OK but is hard work and can take a while to empty the tank when it is nearly full.

I need to pump out tomorrow and am not looking forward to it because of the weather and the fact that I have a bit of a stiff shoulder at the moment (I begrudge paying £££ to get a pump out at a marina!!).

I know both mains and battery powered (12V) pumps are available for the job but I would like advise from someone that has first hand experience of them.

Ideally, I would like to fit something between the tank and the skin fitting so that all I have to do is connect up the hose and turn it on.

Any advise welcome please…..

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody had any experience with the following:

Thank you for your enquiry to Aquafax.

Johnson Pump brought out the Viking Power 32 diaphragm pump at the beginning of the year, available in either 12 or 24 volt. It will connect on to 38mm (1.1/2”) id hose and pumps 32 litres per minute open flow.

The maximum lift of the pump is 2.5mtr and it will pump a head of up to 4mtrs. The performance of the pump may be affected by the position of the pumpout point in relation to the sanitary station.

It is rated at 3.5amp on 12 volt or 1.8 on 24 volt. I would recommend a heavier cable to prevent a voltage drop to the pump over long cable runs.

The pumps are priced at:

Part Number 10-13373-03 Johnson Viking Power 32 12V £212.61 + VAT

Part Number 10-13373-04 Johnson Viking Power 32 24V £212.61 + VAT

Further information can be found on www.johnson-pump.com

Pardon me for being so dim...but...where do you pump it out to?

Tow Path, dogs can do it so why can't I ?? :unsure:

Just Joking :cheers:

I am lucky enough to have a self pump out station close by in Braunston and I pass by it quite often.

Unfortunately, self pump out points are few and far between.

Tow Path, dogs can do it so why can't I ?? :unsure:

Just Joking :cheers:

I am lucky enough to have a self pump out station close by in Braunston and I pass by it quite often.

Unfortunately, self pump out points are few and far between.

I wondered, never seen a self pumpout station, we just get the local hire co to do it, £12 including blue.

I wondered, never seen a self pumpout station, we just get the local hire co to do it, £12 including blue.

This has probably saved me in the order of £120 last year. Shame there aren't more of them around.

SelfPumpOut.jpg

Most of our stuff seems to incorporate the self pump out option these days but we tend to use this pump HERE from Whale.

We sell the Viking 32 but haven't used one ourselves yet but if it's anything like the Viking 16 we use for shower pumps it should be impressive.

Many thanks Gary, these pumps are exactly what I was looking for. Just need to start saving up!!

Would you recommend the Viking over the Whale?

This has probably saved me in the order of £120 last year. Shame there aren't more of them around.

SelfPumpOut.jpg

Many thanks Gary, these pumps are exactly what I was looking for. Just need to start saving up!!

Would you recommend the Viking over the Whale?

I think the Viking is probably the way to go it seems to be a more robust unit than the Whale.

When you have filled the piggy bank message me because we offer the same 10% discount on nearly every item over £100.00 to Canal World members that we do for Clubs and Charities so it's worth taking advantage of! <_<

I think the Viking is probably the way to go it seems to be a more robust unit than the Whale.

When you have filled the piggy bank message me because we offer the same 10% discount on nearly every item over £100.00 to Canal World members that we do for Clubs and Charities so it's worth taking advantage of! <_<

Many thanks gary, I will be in touch.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just placed my order for the Viking 32 with Gary - best price on the web :lol::lol::P Thanks Gary.

Will post again once fitted and 'used in anger' in case others are interested in an electric pump out pump.....

Hiya!

Just been through this particular journey meself. It all depends on what how big your waste tank is, the vertical height from which the pump has to lift the waste and how far it is from the pump to the sewer.

I looked into this at great length. If your tank is fairly small/average and you're pumping into a sewer/receptacle thats within a few feet then go for a 12v/24v diaphragm pump like a jabsco/whale220/viking.

If its anything more than that then bare in mind that 12v pumps can only muster a certain amount of "oompfh". In the end after tons of tireless research, I spent a bit of extra money and went for a 240v jabsco utility pump. I have to pump out a 97 gallon tank and then pump it about 30-40 feet to the nearest sewer. I spoke to a whole host of people including jabsco in both the US and the UK and in the end bought my pump from an extremely helpful (and cheap!) bunch at quaywest chandlery in poole and I must say I'm extremely pleased with my pump setup. It pumps out my entire tank in about 8-10 minutes, has plenty of "oompfh" and self primes in about 10 seconds. You have to make sure that all your joints are airtight and I had to use prodigious amounts of PTFE tape and jubilee clips to ensure good seals all round. Flip side is that I have to keep my pump and pipework separate and set it up each time i need to use it.....however it is wickedly powerful, quiet, quick and reliable.

Anyways....hope this helps.

Nic

Hi Nic,

sounds like good advice, not something I'm looking for myself but I always wondered how you clean the pump and pipes after finishing the pump out and how you store it all hygenically after ? Just wondering really......

Rgds

Les

Hi Les,

Once the tank's empty....I disconnect the pump from the deck fitting and suck a load of river water though it....easy. The output side of the pump is layflat hose of which there's about 40ft or so. I disconnect this from the pump and roll it up fire engine style.....then just stow the pump with its 2m suction hose still connected.....obviously its clean enough, having been flushed through but I wouldn't keep it in me bedroom!!

Nic

The Viking 32 has just arrived. Only ordered it late Wednesday. Great delivery service - thanks again Gary.

First impressions: Much more 'substantial' than I had expected from the photos on the various web sites. Pleasantly suprised. Real solid piece of kit.

Looking forward to fitting and testing it.

Thanks for that Nic, I've always wondered !!

Hi Les,

Once the tank's empty....I disconnect the pump from the deck fitting and suck a load of river water though it....easy. The output side of the pump is layflat hose of which there's about 40ft or so. I disconnect this from the pump and roll it up fire engine style.....then just stow the pump with its 2m suction hose still connected.....obviously its clean enough, having been flushed through but I wouldn't keep it in me bedroom!!

Nic

• 1 month later...
The Viking 32 has just arrived. Only ordered it late Wednesday. Great delivery service - thanks again Gary.

First impressions: Much more 'substantial' than I had expected from the photos on the various web sites. Pleasantly suprised. Real solid piece of kit.

Looking forward to fitting and testing it.

Update,

I have fitted the pump – it was very easy, and pumped out twice.

Money well spent. Very pleased with it. Does what it says on the tin.