Sound proofing

tangysheep

Featured Posts

Hello....we are new on the forum and note that there is a great deal of advice out there!

We are soon to be owners of a new Aqualine Trad end of April and will be out for the summer....whoopee!.

With that in mind we feel we would like to sound proof the engine bay.

Please can folk give advice as to the best materials, thickness etc. and also their experience of doing this sort of improvement and with what sort of result.

Also if you have a good source of the materials.

NB Engine is an Isuzu 42 with a 150 box.

Regards

Steve and Lindy

Steve & Lindy,

I looked at the real stuff at £25 per square meter and was advised that the cheapest thing to use is carpet underlay.

Since doing out my engine bay (Kubota) with some left over underlay I had - just to try it like, I can now be heard by 'er indoors quite well and standing at the tiller all day doesn't require wearing ear defenders.

I did the easy access vertical surfaces and the underneath of the boards over the engine using a spray contact adhesive and have achieved a remarkable reduction in noise.

No problems with the safety scheme as, as yet, there are no regulations about this. I have fitted an external mounted and remote activated CO2 extinguisher which discharges into the engine space.

Chris,

Nothing special, I had some of the green heavy duty stuff left over. Stuck the hessian side to the steel work.

Its a messy job though - have some meths on hand - for the hands not drinking!