cambourne

ken

Featured Posts

does any body know any details of a large woolwich called cambourne moored at aylesbury

Not anything recent....

But if you don't already know, it was a BWB maintenance boat in the same general area, certainly around the late 1970s, (and I would have assumed for some trime previously).

At the time I think there were only a couple of ex GUCC boats in this area used for maintenance that had remained full length, (Saltaire being the other from memory). Additionally the pair Ayr and Aynho was based at Marsworth and used by BWB to deliver the concrete piles then manufactured there.

Most of the other ex GUCC used for maintenance boats were already shortened to around 40 foot tug format.

What is it's status now ? Still full length and unconverted ?

Someone who may well be able to help is John Dakin, he works for BW somewhere in the London Area on maintenance. He was one of the thirteen kids on Anyho and Ayr in the 1960's. I met him at Cowley Peachey a few years ago and his mother Dolly was still alive and living in Harefield (I think). Another person who may be able to help is Tom Boswell , the son of Jack Boswell (sadly no longer with us), who is of a similar age and was involved with the Hillingdon Narrowboat Trust and also an Historic Narrowboat project in Little Venice. I don't have any contact details but if you ask around in the London area someone will know where they are now.