Mobile phone & data card insurance

pagan witch

Featured Posts

When I recently changed to T Mobile for my data needs they offered me their insurance which I initially declined as I felt it was expensive and I was certain was already covered on my boat's contents policy.

Eventually I relented and agreed to the 3 months free introductory offer on the understanding I could cancel it if I was already covered. Turns out it was a good move.

I checked with my insurers (Euro Marine) who were happy to cover it on my existing policy at no extra charge - 'How much did it cost me ?' they asked. 'Nothing' I replied as it came free with the contract deal (as most phones do on decent contracts - like my 800 minute jobby). 'Ah' said they 'In that case as you purchased it for nothing that is the replacement cost as far as we are concerned.'

At the moment you can't even get these modems out of contract so at the very least it would cost me £29 a month until the old 'lost' contract ran out - potentially around £350, but as I paid nothing for it I wouldn't get an insurance pay out.

SO . . . . . If anyone else thinks their phone / data card / USB modem etc. is covered you would do well to check.

Just slightley off toppic but did you know that some car insurance companies policies do not cover you if you live on a boat?? found that out a couple of years ago when i went to reinsure my car the agent did a quick check and said AH i had been driving for 3 years with basicly no insurance as the company did not insure you if you lived in b&b/caravan site mobile home /boat they still took the money of me though :smiley_offtopic: