Eberspacher/Webasto heaters from Turkey

jddevel

Featured Posts

With so many of our branded goods now being actually manufactured in such places as China and Turkey has anyone experienced purchasing the Eberspacher or Webasto heater kits for narrow boats as sold on Ebay from such as Turkey please?

I can say this much, you will get nothing other that a one year warranty where you must send it back to Turkey at your expense and be cold whilst you wait, no UK dealer can help with warranty issues as they are not even ofical dealers. You may be hit for import duty & VAT as Turkey is non EU country. Add to that the fact that they are not massively cheaper to start with and it becomes less interesting. You can often negotiate a good price for a proper UK sourced marine unit with a three year warranty where somebody like me will come out to your boat and repair. I have seen Thermo Tops from Turkey where I have been asked to assist with installations that though new and unused had manufactured serial numbers six years old and had non marine ECUs that cut out at higher voltages than the correct marine versions. The above applies to Webasto but I can't see the Ebersplutters being and different.

Strangely enough NMEA on reading through another topic it reminded me that you were an appointed dealer. I apologize if you in anyway feel aggrieved - it was not intended. I suppose at my age and experiences in my own field of property development I`ve become very cynical regarding so called "guarantees" with products I`ve used-including kite marked to "British Standard". Toilet/bathroom equipment especially. Copper pipe and lead from UK suppliers who`ve actually sourced their product from overseas and certainly in the early days these items have been found to contain impurities not at first recognisable. I understand the risk I may be taking but actually wonder how much of the heaters/ components in question are actually of inscrutable origin. At this stage I`m asking if any forum contributors have favourable experiences. Thank you again.

I'm certainly not aggrieved, it's a free market and people can source from wherever they want. Just trying to assist and inform with the extensive knowledge I have in this particular market.

Edited by NMEA
  • Greenie 1

That's respected NMEA. Just researching. I must admit that in spite of feeling reasonably confident in the world of practicalities I have found this forum a sufficiently excellent source of information to give me the enthusiasm to embark on my own sailaway. Lets hope I don`t get over confident!!!!!

There are some things that are worth trying to save a few pennies on and there are others that are not. In my view this is one of them.

I wanted the Thermocall upgrade to mine, found the best DIY price and that it was possible as a competent DIY'er to install myself, however as with anything like this there is always the possibility of something not working properly out of the box so I just paid the local Webasto guy in London to come and install it all. It wasn't cheap as well his work comes with warranties and the such like and unlike big DIY resellers he isnt getting the volume purchasing discounts so cannot pass these on.

It paid for itself on the basis I would have used a 3 sim card however was told to make sure I had two different provider PAYG cards on the day of install in case of coverage issues. Bingo 3 wouldnt work at all and EE did. I am sure I would have struggled for ages to work it out thinking it was somethign more technical.

There are some things that are worth trying to save a few pennies on and there are others that are not. In my view this is one of them.

I wanted the Thermocall upgrade to mine, found the best DIY price and that it was possible as a competent DIY'er to install myself, however as with anything like this there is always the possibility of something not working properly out of the box so I just paid the local Webasto guy in London to come and install it all. It wasn't cheap as well his work comes with warranties and the such like and unlike big DIY resellers he isnt getting the volume purchasing discounts so cannot pass these on.

It paid for itself on the basis I would have used a 3 sim card however was told to make sure I had two different provider PAYG cards on the day of install in case of coverage issues. Bingo 3 wouldnt work at all and EE did. I am sure I would have struggled for ages to work it out thinking it was somethign more technical.

Glad you were pleased with it Sam!

• Greenie 1