The Bugsworth Easter do!

Roger Murray

Featured Posts

Last week my daughter Ailsa phoned saying that she was taking her boat to Buggy for Easter. 'There's a big boaty do on! Why don't you bring "Kyle" down?'

So that was it, decided on the trip from the Clarence Mill at Bollington, where the boat is moored, along the Macclesfield canal to Marple, then along the Peak Forest to Bugsworth Basin. An easy days canal voyage. I have a special liking for the Peak Forest Canal, which seems to transport the boat into a different world, especially after coming through the blind bridge at the end of the Macclesfield and negotiating that sharp turn right. Suddenly a real open feeling of being up in the hills, with views across vast valleys. Can even see the high outline Kinder Scout, where all those years ago, in the 30s, there was the massive protest march of ramblers from Manchester against the strict laws of trespass. They won the right to roam for the whole nation!

The little swing and lift bridges of this particular canal are sometimes almost impossible to lift or swing, but adding that bit of added drama to the voyage. Especially with the likes of Ailsa who was single handing and getting the bow of her boat well stuck under the bridge.

A big old mill chimney comes into view and a heady sweet whiff of Midget Gems or whichever sweets they are producing pervades the boat as you pass Swizzles sweet factory. (Bet somebody posts saying they don't make Midget Gems!) Well, they make lots things like that!

Then the canal gets really spooky, especially if its going dark. On a long sweeping bend in a bit of a desolated spot, a big sign with red lettering confronts you. 'Beware of Giant Hogweed!" That must be the most scary notice in the whole of Britain, conjuring up thoughts of 'Beware of the Triffids!' I heard that one lady boater was too frightened to proceed beyond that bend. Mind you, have heard that certain boaters have been visited by these Giant Hogweeds in the middle of the night.

When we finally got to Bugsworth Basin it was all happening! Flags, bunting, tents, stalls, men in yellow jackets directing things, and lots of boats.
At the Navigation pub, in my humble opinion one of the best real pubs on the cut, they were hosting an influx, of what was described on all the notices as 'Wild Campers!' Laura my partner was excitedly expecting to see a hoard of semi naked sexy men in loin cloths camping in teepee's ! She had just been watching a DVD of the 'Game of Thrones.' which I think set her imagination into full 'PanoVision mode.' Disapointingly these 'Wild Campers turned out to be about a dozen or so camper vans which had parked up at the pub car park, who's owners claim the title of Wild Camper, as they don't overnight at organised caravan parks. preferring to overnight 'Wild', possibly on lay-bys and things. They turned out to be quite a genial group of normally dressed people.

Then it rained and blew...and did it rain and blow! The place soon turned into a quagmire. A great pity as the organisers at Bugsworth, nearly all volunteers. had worked so hard to make it happen. And a great canal and family event it was. A credit to them all.

Apart from the weather, It was still worth the trip and lots of fun.

Roger

www.rogermurray.co.uk