Audlem to Ellesmere Port over Easter

John P

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to take the daughter's family on a weeks trip on Solong starting from Audlem (overwater marina) on Good Friday. The plan is to go to Ellesmere Port and return. I've done the Run to Chester several times, including once last Autumn, but it's several years since I ventured further to Ellesmere Port. Under normal circumstances, I'm pretty confident that I have the timings right for this but it's school holiday time and, perhaps more significant, there is a boaters gathering at the museum. Does anyone with experience of this event know how much this will clog up the route, especially beyond Chester and at the boat museum itself. I was planning to overnight at Stoake for the part of the cruise beyond Chester, so as to make use of the Bunbury Arms but the crew have found out about Cheshire Oaks and are agitating for eating at one of the outlets there. I can see that the canal runs close but there appear to be some pretty serious roads between the two. What is the best way to get there (where do you moor and is there a footpath somewhere).?

If you're going to the event at the Boat Museum over the Easter weekend then Northgate staircase locks will be manned, which makes passage much easier (triple staircase, 11 feet drop each, broad too). Also the chances are you'll be sharing these locks. The run from Chester to Ellesmere Port is quite pleasant apart from a few grotty bits (the back end of some industrial estates) and it was recently dredged to issues with getting stuck don't really occur any more.

There won't be congestion apart from maybe a little wait at the staircase, so I'd not worry about that aspect.