Nut Loaf

Darcy

Featured Posts

Many years ago, I had to provide Christmas Dinner for a vegetarian. Being supremely unimpressed by most nutloafs I'd experienced, I developed the recipe below by trial and error. Since then, I married the vege, he is now a carnivore, but the nutloaf has become a family favourite and I still cook it every Christmas. I love it hot, but its even better in a sandwich the next day. :lol:

Serves 6

Mix together -

2 carrots -- grated

8oz (200g) strong cheddar -- grated

6oz (150g) cashew nuts -- chopped

4oz (100g) breadcrumbs

Sweat

1 medium onion -- chopped in

1 oz (25g) marg until tender

Add

About 12oz (300g) mushrooms -- roughly chopped and heat until soft but not mushy

Mix all the above together with

1 tbsp tomato ketchup

1 tsp worchestershire sauce

1 tsp curry powder

1 tsp mixed herbs

Bind with

2 eggs

And cook at 190 deg C, 375 F for about 3/4hr -- (Timing does vary a fair bit depending on the type of mushrooms, and I just get it out when nicely browned, and obviously "set").

You can freeze the mixture just before the binding stage and in a chiller box it'll be fine for 48 hrs. So I find its a good prepare ahead meal to take on our boat trips.

Edited to sort units as per Moley's comments

Edited by Darcy

Thanks Darcy, that's good.

Your quantities are massive. After mixing (but before the eggs) I halved the mixture, put one half in the freezer and added one egg to the rest. I then wondered if it would be enough to feed 2+2 but it's quite filling and quantity was about right. Kids left some (must whizz the mushrooms next time). I would suggest your quantites are 'serves 6'.

I never ever ever follow recipes verbatim and used one fairly large red onion, plus 4 cloves of garlic (crushed and finely chopped), sweated in a glug of olive oil. Breadcrumbs, mixed wholemeal and stale ciabatta. Mixed herbs increased to 1 tbsp (we use lots of herbs).

Served with jacket spuds, steamed baby carrots & mange-tout, and a cheese and onion sauce.

For the sauce:

1 small onion, finely chopped, + 1 tsp mixed herbs, sweated in olive oil.

Melt in 1 oz butter

Add 1.5 oz plain flour, stir and cook for a couple of mins.

Gradually add in 3/4 to 1 pint milk, whisking continuously.

Grate and melt in 2 oz cheese (I used Red Leicester)

Incidentally, loved your units, 4 oz breadcrumbs, 6 oz nuts, 300g mushrooms :lol:

Sorry Moley should have said this serves 6. I always make that amount -- since even if there's only 4 of us, I like the rest cold.

Yes you can certainly mess around with the recipe, I originally constructed it from two others, then added the mushrooms and curry powder at some later point. I've made it with white or wholemeal bread crumbs. You can also use whatever type of nuts and herbs you like. In summer I'll use fresh ones from the garden.

I've not tried serving it with a cheese sauce, but yes I can see it would work. I generally serve with chutney something green and roasted root veg.

1/2 butternut squash

3 carrots

3 parsnip

or whatever else you fancy, cubed tossed in olive oil + honey + tabasco + herbs and roasted on hot for 20/30 mins or so.

As for units - yes sorry a bit strange :lol: I don't actually weigh out any of this except the breadcrumbs. I've tried to attach weights for other people. Its a block of cheese, a knob of butter, a packet of cashew nuts and a box of mushrooms - the weight on the mushroom box was given in g.

I'll edit the recipe......

Ann