Somerton Turning Point

Mike Sainsbury

Featured Posts

I understand that up from Somerton deep lock is a turning point.... its suppose to be for 60ft... but I'm sure I saw a longer boat go down that way and turn around before Upper Heyford....

... does anyone know...

I have obviously even missed the fact the turning point exists as I always go down to Lower Heyford......

I turned a 63ft boat there. But I can't remember what the draft was - it wasn't a deep one. It is definately a 2 person and a pole job. the next one up is at Aynho I think.

cheers...I normally single hand it ... so perhaps an attempt next time ... rather than the slog down to Lower Heyford...

I did it a couple of years ago, and I am sure the hole will be a bit bigger by now! I really had to pole the front end around which is why the second crew member was helpful, but it was also a really windy day. If the wind is ok, I expect you will be absolutely fine. I know it goes without saying, but make sure it is your pointy end that goes in the offside bit!

I did it a couple of years ago, and I am sure the hole will be a bit bigger by now! I really had to pole the front end around which is why the second crew member was helpful, but it was also a really windy day. If the wind is ok, I expect you will be absolutely fine. I know it goes without saying, but make sure it is your pointy end that goes in the offside bit!

Thanks for that

And thanks for the hint about the pointy end ! LOL :cheers:

Edited by Mike Sainsbury