Barton on Trent routes

harleyj

Featured Posts

This is my first go at using the forum so I hope I don't stuff up.

My wife (Shelley) and I together with her brother and sister in law have just booked on a timeshare narrowboat thru Classic Narrowboats @ Barton Under Needwood for 2 weeks in April '08. We have had previous experience with Ethos Narrowboats out of Evesham where we met one of your contributors Neil Dudman ( we are the Aussie's he asked about Chester for. P.S. we won't mention the cricket) and his lovely family.

We would like to go to Macclesfield and back and have used canalplan to plan that which tells us that it will take about 12 to 14 days leasurely cruising @ 5 hours a day. Can anyone tell us if that is feasable and also some good pubs and places to see.

Thanks Harley

• 2 weeks later...
This is my first go at using the forum so I hope I don't stuff up.

My wife (Shelley) and I together with her brother and sister in law have just booked on a timeshare narrowboat thru Classic Narrowboats @ Barton Under Needwood for 2 weeks in April '08. We have had previous experience with Ethos Narrowboats out of Evesham where we met one of your contributors Neil Dudman ( we are the Aussie's he asked about Chester for. P.S. we won't mention the cricket) and his lovely family.

We would like to go to Macclesfield and back and have used canalplan to plan that which tells us that it will take about 12 to 14 days leasurely cruising @ 5 hours a day. Can anyone tell us if that is feasable and also some good pubs and places to see.

Thanks Harley

My wife and I also have a timeshare with Classic Narrowboats @ Barton Under Needwood. In 2004 ( our first year) we traviled up the Trent & Mersy from Barton Under Needwood to Kidsgrove ( far side of Herecastle Tunnel) and back in 7 days.

There is a very good farm shop on the other side of the bridge at Great Haywood and the Wedgwood Pottery & Visitor centre at Baraston is not to be missed.

The Trent & Mersy pases through some very buitfull contry side as well as some interesting industrial areas.

When are you booked in ? We will be returning on the 5th April 2007 if you are about.

My wife and I also have a timeshare with Classic Narrowboats @ Barton Under Needwood. In 2004 ( our first year) we traviled up the Trent & Mersy from Barton Under Needwood to Kidsgrove ( far side of Herecastle Tunnel) and back in 7 days.

There is a very good farm shop on the other side of the bridge at Great Haywood and the Wedgwood Pottery & Visitor centre at Baraston is not to be missed.

The Trent & Mersy pases through some very buitfull contry side as well as some interesting industrial areas.

When are you booked in ? We will be returning on the 5th April 2007 if you are about.

Great to hear from you that we will be able to get to Kidsgrove & return in 7 days. We hope to get to Macclesfield and back in 14 days depending on the sightseeing and antique shops along the way. My wife and her brother and sister in-law will be the problem in the antique shops.

We are not booked until 11th of April 2008 so have plenty of time to plan our trip with some help from the correspondents on this forum.

Thanks again for the info and we may be able to catch up in 2008.

Hope the winter over there is not too rugged, currently about 35c and not a cloud in the sky here.