Funding U-turn?

Alec Gatherer

Featured Posts

In Saturday's Manchester Evening News (so it must be true) is an article headed "Canal's future safe in funding U-turn". The gist of it is that the future of the Rochdale Canal is safe after the Government reinstated vital maintenance funding. The article relates specifically to the Rochdale Canal, but contains allusions to the fund being "for the entire canal network" (a quote from Ms. Debbie Lumb, BW north west manager).

Have I missed something? Be as scathing as you like; it will be worth it to become up-to-date with funding news.

The article also deals with the lock cottage at Summit occupied by Ray McDonald and owned by BW. It states that they aren't going to turf him out immediately, they will review the situation in 12 months.

The status of the Rochdale Canal is unique in several ways, firstly BW do not own it. Ownership was handed over to the Waterways Trust after it was purchased from the original commercial owners, this was a condition insisted upon by the various funding agencies. BW were then contracted to maintain the canal, finance was agreed and money changed hands so it is not really in the gift of BW to make pronouncements on future of the on the canal though they are under an obligation for the time being to keep it in good order under the terms of the contract.

As I mentioned in an earlier post the Rochdale Canal Society will be keeping a close watch on the situation regarding the West Summit lock house.

Edited by John Orentas

Have I missed something? Be as scathing as you like; it will be worth it to become up-to-date with funding news.

I questioned the Waterways Minister on Thursday and he gave no sign of a U-turn. He did, however, claim there was no chance of any protracted closures as happened in the early '80s with Blisworth, Harecastle etc. Whether this is borne out at Netherton remains to be seen.