Boat and butty

david and julie

Featured Posts

As Alastair says, I only had a standard but short tug in mind, but with squared off bow corners. My thoughts on this were severalfold, It would enable easier connection on each corner and help the linear rigidity. It would give the most room and enable walking from one to the other on the go. It would also more resemble a conventional shape and be cheaper to make than fancy bows. It would only be ordinary engine and steering set up so is known and easier to make. I would see no problem with a verticle slope on both vessels bow/stern if its better for the tug when disconnected though.

On boats that never travel much could you have all services and fluids on the tug? Would it be easier to use the short boat for refueling/gas/toilets etc? you could turn anywhere without hassle.

I hadn't considered the go anywhere capability which is a very good point.

sounds like we've just invented the continuously cruising static houseboat <_<

if all the fluids are on the tug, that implies hoses and things connnecting the boats, and the serious stuff (WC) only available on the tug.

maybe we need a watertight walk-through bellows unit so you can use the loo without going out on deck.

where does the power supply come from? more cables from one to the other?

For transferring services I would think the suzie hoses as used on trucks/trailers and airtools. They use these on JCB's etc for the hammers, so they must be leak proof for oils. As you say the toilet may be an issue, could we use a macerator and the above couplings?

On the subject of hotel boats. Would a damped coupling method reduce the transfer of noise and vibrations to the passenger area? I know these may not bother us but am curious if newcomers on holiday find it tiresome.