Calorifier Fitting Cost...ish?

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

How much would you expect to pay to fit a calorifier to this boat at a boatyard and would it cost a great deal more to have it heating the radiators as well?....in ball park terms of course and trusting there were no skin tank size issues thrown up in a survey.

Engine:
BMC diesel 1.5 skin tank cooled inboard engine.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=307404

Edited by Capt.Golightly

To operate from what? The engine? The stove? Both?

To replace the Morco or work in tandem with it?

£500 to buy the calorifier, another £500 to fit it and connect it up to the engine as a standalone installation. A further £1,000 to hook it up to three rads and the stove with a header tank etc, assuming the stove already has a back boiler in it. £2k if it hasn't.

A further £250 if you want to retain the Morco and have an arrangement of valves so you can select one or the other as the hot water source.

Very ballpark figures and no doubt peeps will say I am overquoting, but this is the sort of money you WILL end up paying to have it done for you by someone who knows their stuff rather than a jack of all trades type who talks a good talk but can't follow through when it all goes wrong... :)

MtB

Thanks Mike, it seems I'm a little off in my understanding of them but it matters little at that kind of doe! I'll content myself with chopping up things which I pass instead..thanks mate wink.png I'll enjoy sticking a pan on the stove for water most of the time anyway. It will be a positive treat to boil water without waiting for the clatter of the letterbox announcing yet another spanking from the leccy board. I fully expect my wood gathering sorte's to be one of the most enjoyable aspects of boat life..so long as I have plenty by winter that is....tho' I anticipate some tough times with space at a premium and getting through a fair amount of wood, coal. I guess a morco is a good option for instant hot water aside from the lpg use, though I haven't used one for years so I'm probably over estimating its consumption.

Edited by Capt.Golightly