Exhaust Sealant

Richard Martin

Featured Posts

Our exhaust fell apart over the weekend, well the threaded connector actually, lots of smoke when we opened the hatch.

I have today screwed it all backtogether without any problem but when I started the engine there was some smoke getting out still.

Should I put some exhaust paste on the threads or not, if not what should I use to gain the gas tight seal.

Should I put some exhaust paste on the threads or not, if not what should I use to gain the gas tight seal.

Hi Richard.

Get hold of some of that high temperature silicone sealant everyone is talking about at the moment. In fact I am certain that same stuff was marketed as exhaust sealer many years ago. Instant Gasket.

When I bought a replacement silencer and all threaded fittings from TW Marine they recommended Copperslip grease on all threads. This stuff makes assembly and re-assembly easy and provides a good, gas-tight seal. This was for new threads however, I doubt if it will re-seal old, rusted and worn threads. New threaded couplings might be advisable if it's still difficult to get a gas-tight seal.

Noah

Any motor factors or Halfords etc.

I can understand the reasoning for recommending 'copper slip' to be used on exhaust systems but the only advantage it will give is the components will not seize or rust together, it is not a sealant as such but a lubricant which contains microscopic spheres of copper. The idea being that the bits of copper will act like a mini ball-race.