Winter Holiday

tillergirl

Featured Posts

We are planning a holiday for February 2007 On the Leeds/Liverpool having found a firm that can accommodate us. I was wondering if anyone could give us any pointers/advice for cruising at that time of the year. Warm clothes/good footwear obviously - but is there anything we should be aware of that may cause problems?? :rolleyes:

We are planning a holiday for February 2007 On the Leeds/Liverpool having found a firm that can accommodate us. I was wondering if anyone could give us any pointers/advice for cruising at that time of the year. Warm clothes/good footwear obviously - but is there anything we should be aware of that may cause problems?? :rolleyes:

Ice, snow, flooding and wind. Take thermals with you.

Guest Feanurr

We are planning a holiday for February 2007 On the Leeds/Liverpool ... but is there anything we should be aware of that may cause problems?? :rolleyes:

Depending on when in Feb and the route you had planned the following may be of interest;

Bingley Five & Three Rise Locks and Newlay Lock to Leeds Office Lock Passage must be booked a minimum of 72 hours in advance. Contact the Customer Service Team for full booking information on 01977 554351, Monday to Friday 8am until 5pm.

8 Jan 2007 - 16 Feb 2007 Stoppage: Johnsons Hillock Locks, 58 to 64

Part of winter stoppage programme

New gates & inspection. Towpath diversions in place locally. (Enquiries: 01942 405700)

8 Jan 2007 - 16 Mar 2007 Stoppage: Wigan Flight, Locks 65 to 85

New gates and repairs. (Enquiries: 01942 405700)

19 Feb 2007 - 16 Mar 2007 Stoppage: Blackburn Locks, 52 to 57

Investigation and repairs. Towpath diversions in place locally. (Enquiries: 01942 405700)

For further info see http://www.waterscape.com/boating/stoppages/

Happy boating!

Edited by Feanurr

We did west to Foulridge the last time we were up there so we thought we'd go the other way this time. And we've been told that eastwards should be open after Xmas. Given that we're only booking 4 nights I doubt we'll get too far as we reckon that we'll only get a good 6 hours daylight. Looking at Nicholsons we see that east theres no locks til Bingley though I doubt we'll get there. We also note that there does'nt seem to be a winding hole either.........?? Is there anywhere to wind safely on that stretch on the LL?

We did west to Foulridge the last time we were up there so we thought we'd go the other way this time. And we've been told that eastwards should be open after Xmas. Given that we're only booking 4 nights I doubt we'll get too far as we reckon that we'll only get a good 6 hours daylight. Looking at Nicholsons we see that east theres no locks til Bingley though I doubt we'll get there. We also note that there does'nt seem to be a winding hole either.........?? Is there anywhere to wind safely on that stretch on the LL?

Hi Tillergirl,

I guess from your comment that there are no locks to the east on your holiday means you are hiring a boat from the Skipton or Snaygill hire companies. Is this correct, if it is, you could go either up to the Gargrave Locks area in the Yorkshire Dales or down to Bingley Five Rise Locks & on towards Leeds.

The only time consuming task in this lock free area is the opening and closing a lot of swing bridges. There are places to wind but how long is your boat ??.

M&P.

Hi M & P - we're hiring from Pennine who we have used before and are very friendly. I think the boat is going to be aorund 58' (ish). Its a sort of prelude holiday before buying really. We've done the summer bit thought we'd try the winter end to see how we fared. Its a big investment to buy a boat and we'd like to think that we would use it all year round really.

Thanks for your info - must say you're all a friendly bunch on here :rolleyes: