Visitor Moorings in York

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm planing to vist York in mid August and hand the boat over to my brother who is using her for a family holiday. I will have to leave the boat a few days (3 or 4) before he arrives thus she will be unattended. Looking for somewhere safe to leave her reasonably close to the city centre as he will be arriving by train. I'm quite happy to pay for a short term mooring but the only one I have found is York Marina which is not central. Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Hi

The moorings in York center are visitor moorings and on a river. I do not know how long you can stop there either. They are usually pretty full, as well, at this time of year and, as Cotswoldsman says, you do have to be careful that the river is not going to flood. At the moment there isn't much danger of that but it does flood pretty damn quick and quite spectacularly when it rains.

The marina you are referring to is Naburn Marina. As you say it isn't central but it's not far out. The other thought I had is how competent is he at the art of narrowboating. I don't know which way he is planning to go but if he is going up the Ouse then it's all river until you get to the Ripon Canal which isn't very long and is about as far as you can go without a truck. If he is planning on coming down the Ouse then after Naburn lock the Ouse is tidal and is not a very nice river for a novice. If he is an experienced boater, though, it shouldn't present any problems. I live in Selby which is about 10 or 11 miles south of York. If you want I could help out with transport to your boat for him as long as there are not more than six people. I have a 7 seater Sedona ( I need one of the seats LOL). I am moored at the Selby Boatyard and I would think that you could moor there for a couple of nights. I don't know what he charges for short term but you can ring him on 01757 212211

As I said I don't mind taking him to your boat from the station to either Naburn or Selby whichever you choose to moor at. If he is going south from York he will end up on the Selby Canal anyway. If you want to PM me we can work something out if that helps. I am retired so I don't have any ties and York is close.

Pete

John,

Thanks for confirming the York moorings are OK. I had heard that the moorings at Museum gardens are nice. I expect they will be short term, 48hrs, and likely to be busy in August so no guarantee of getting in. I hope the risk of flooding is low in August but after last summer who knows.

Pete,

I think my brother may go up river to Ripon and back but not sure. He is an experienced boater and is used to (non-tidal) rivers having been on the Thames in flood last spring. At the moment we're both trying to rearrange things so that we can meet up to handover. If this is not possible I may take up your kind offer of a lift. Thanks for the PM, I should have plans firmed up by early July.

Martin

Pete,

I think my brother may go up river to Ripon and back but not sure. He is an experienced boater and is used to (non-tidal) rivers having been on the Thames in flood last spring. At the moment we're both trying to rearrange things so that we can meet up to handover. If this is not possible I may take up your kind offer of a lift. Thanks for the PM, I should have plans firmed up by early July.

Martin

Hi

Okay, you have my home number my mobile and my email so if you should need transport just let me know.

Pete