Eberspacher DW5

lunallena

Featured Posts

Hi,

Our first post here, and I hope someone can help.

We have an Eberspacher Hydronic DW5S, and it's about 6 years old, and regularly serviced by myself - never had a problem with it that a good clean out didn't cure.

Now, we have clouds, (and I mean CLOUDS) of white STEAM, not smoke continually coming from the exhaust. This never stops, no matter how long the unit is run, and I have run it for 12 hours continuously. It's definitely steam - there's that "steamy" smell about it.

So I stripped the unit, cleaned it up, replaced gaskets, and checked that there's no water in the exhaust. I've eliminated water in the fuel by feeding it directly from a 5ltr can of white diesel, straight from the pump @ Tesco (ouch).

The battery voltage is 13.2V at the heater.

The unit starts reliably, and heats water as normal. It's just the clouds of steam that's the problem.

The only thing I'm left with is the possibility of a cracked combustion chamber - unless anyone has a better idea or experience of the same problem. Any thoughts gratefuly received.

Many thanks

Ed

There is an O ring seal around the heat exchanger. Did you strip it down this far, or just to the two gaskets either side of the combustion chamber?

Thanks for your reply! Do you mean the two O rings that connect the spigots from the pump assy into the heat exchanger? If so, yes, I replaced them - or am I thinking of the wrong thing. I have also replaced the "Smiley face" gasket, and the simple circular one between the burner assy and heat exchanger - the ones you mention in your post.

Very recently had same with my Eberspacher DW4SC. The heat exchanger had failed and allowed coolant into the furnace chamber and thence out through the exhaust. Clouds of white smoke obliterated the marina. Check your coolant header tank, you may notice a lowered level. Mine failed fairly quickly and ended up flooding the Eberspacher and exhaust line with diesel and coolant.

Thanks for your reply! Do you mean the two O rings that connect the spigots from the pump assy into the heat exchanger? If so, yes, I replaced them -

No not those ones that are on the top of the main body - (item 25)

I have also replaced the "Smiley face" gasket, and the simple circular one between the burner assy and heat exchanger

The other O ring sits behind the simple circular one and seals the heat exchanger against the main body or heater body/water jacket to give its stated name. The heat exchanger pulls out from the main body - once out check the seal and cracks in the casing.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

Very recently had same with my Eberspacher DW4SC. The heat exchanger had failed and allowed coolant into the furnace chamber and thence out through the exhaust. Clouds of white smoke obliterated the marina. Check your coolant header tank, you may notice a lowered level. Mine failed fairly quickly and ended up flooding the Eberspacher and exhaust line with diesel and coolant.

Thanks all for your responses. My heat exchanger has multiple pinholes, and corrosion. Off to building society to organise mortgage, then to Eberspacher dealer :-)

Thanks again for the help!!

Edited by lunallena