Moorings - further confusion!?!?

Steerpike

Featured Posts

Further to my post on the Naval Launch (just down the page) I've had it confirmed by the broker that the mooring isn't of course a residential mooring (my schoolboy error) but is a mooring in Bristol Marina. When I asked if there where any residential moorings, I was advised to forget the word 'residential' - as this would not go down at all well with the Harbourmaster when I came to make contact. Seems many people are living residentially in the Floating Harbour but are not actually supposed to do so. This surprised me but I was assurred I should always state that any mooring request be for Leisure purposes only and this will keep the authorities happy.

The broker (who was very helpful) went on to advise me to put my face about a bit - join some boat clubs - as the whole scene is very cliquey and it pays to know the right people. I found all this very surprising and it seems the business of living aboard in Bristol is going to be a whole lot harder than I first thought.

Further, she said I might be better of looking at buying a Motor Cruiser as a first liveaboard in the harbour. Whilst there are some smart ones advertised, and that are well within my budget, I cant help thinking they are very very pokey inside and I cant see myself living aboard on such a small space. Sorry to ramble, any further thoughts would be welcomed. Cheers.