beta38 charging problem

pelicanafloat

Featured Posts

Is it one of the red ones!

Where does the main cable from the alternator go, isolator or direct to battery?

The red isolators can wear, you can usually get a response by pushing the key in. As they wear they tend to arc and make matters worse!

If alternator wired direct to battery, isolator would not make any difference - this presumably also means ignition doesn't go though isolator either?

Some not too distant time ago I was advised by an engineer that the battery isolator was at the limit of amp rating so I went off and bought an expensive high rated isolator - black and with a T-shaped handle for turning .... am pretty sure this area (and all the connections) is tight, clean and electrically capable.

Never really thought about what the ignition switch does (you can tell I'm lazy :), but I guess the ignition goes through relays that ignite the alternator which then feeds via an engine mounting/connection block into a megafused controlled Victron link box which then controls the relevant feeds (solar panel, victron 2k multi), to the battery bank via the isolator switch. All in, a simple direct link up.

It could perhaps have been a stuck brush that the WD40 has freed. However, this tends to happen when the brushes are approaching the limit of wear. I'm sure you want to leave as is if its working, but bear in mind that a new set of brushes is pretty cheap. However, operating for a long time with brushes in poor condition can case spark erosion of the slip rings, necessitating a more costly overhaul.

That is a very good point. I will inquire as to where I can obtain a set of brushes and (sheepishly) I shall ask how to change them ..... ( am in Victoria Park, London at the moment...)