Gearbox oil

andy b

Featured Posts

I have a vetus engine and gearbox. Its time for the oilchange, ive done the engine but when I asked for gearbox oil at the chandlers I was told to use the same oil as is in the engine. Sounded a bit iffy to me.

Any info would be useful

:angry:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andy b @ Sep 5 2006, 06:24 PM) 74361[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I have a vetus engine and gearbox. Its time for the oilchange, ive done the engine but when I asked for gearbox oil at the chandlers I was told to use the same oil as is in the engine. Sounded a bit iffy to me.

Any info would be useful

Our Vetus 415 has a Technodrive box which uses ATF. However some Technodrives appear NOT to use ATF so be sure before going ahead. There is actually a red label on our box which specifies ATF, but it was covered with masking tape before Vetus sprayed it orange. On the dipstick when it is withdrawn, the red colour of the ATF is quite prominent. Alternatively take a bit out with the pump, and anyone "in the know" should be able to identify ATF. I seem to remeber that Technodrive have a web site.

edit:

http://www.technodrive.it/english/index-eng.htm

Edited by Guest

Catweasel,

According to Vetus, the Technodrive TMC40M uses ATF,

but the TMC40 and TMC60 use SAE20/30.

The Hurths all use ATF

Thanks Mark

Our box is the TMC40M, but I couldn't remember the other numbers/oil specs.

:blush:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andy b @ Sep 5 2006, 06:24 PM) 74361[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Any info would be useful

Our Vetus 415 has a Technodrive box which uses ATF. However some Technodrives appear NOT to use ATF so be sure before going ahead. There is actually a red label on our box which specifies ATF, but it was covered with masking tape before Vetus sprayed it orange. On the dipstick when it is withdrawn, the red colour of the ATF is quite prominent. Alternatively take a bit out with the pump, and anyone "in the know" should be able to identify ATF. I seem to remeber that Technodrive have a web site.

edit:

http://www.technodrive.it/english/index-eng.htm

Found the red label on gearbox, it specifies ATF. Many thanks to all. :blush:

:blush:--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andy b @ Sep 7 2006, 10:17 PM) 74763[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Found the red label on gearbox, it specifies ATF. Many thanks to all. :o

Would be 'nice', if you were to inform the chandlers, so that another boater does not get their gearbox ruined. :blush:

Edited by bottle